Forum Discussion

skRhody
New Contributor III
29 days ago

Apple TV APP not working on COX

I had problems with Apple TV app and Cox in the past. Then it was working for the past year. Tonight I tried to use it to watch a movie and it is not working. TV message tells me problem with internet. Yet I am able to access Apple TV on my Microsoft surface pro no problems.

I had a new up to date cable box installed by a Cox Tech 1/25/24 and now the Cox support chat tells me my box is not compatible with Apple TV and I need a newer cable box. COX has never informed me I need a new box. Very poor communication for a communications company.....so disappointed. Please anyone know if this is true....needing a new box to access Apple TV APP???

• Great news and thanks for sharing. What model cable box are you using? Cox.help advised me my box XG2V2 and the 9865HDC box are not compatible with the Apple TV App. They also explained that "The incompatibility has to do with Apple TV+ and the firmware that runs those two boxes. As apps are updated, sometimes incompatibility occurs after the fact" which makes more sense to me.

The newer WIFI boxes are compatible with the Apple TV APP. I am not ready to change to a WIFI box because my Sony Bravia TV is not smart TV. My Netflix and Prime Apps continue to work fine with my current cable box. For now I will watch Apple TV on another device.

Cox.help was very helpful and I now have an answer to my issue. Not happy and no real solution for me, but they verified what I thought was happening that the firmware on my box no longer supports the updated Apple TV APP. I wanted to share this important information with the Community!

skRhody
    New Contributor III

Update to Apple TV issue.

Today a Cox Technician came to my home. My Cox internet and cable are working fine. The option was to change my cable box to a new Wifi box. Not sure this would work for me, so I chose to continue with my current cable box XG2V2 and to access my Apple TV subscription on another device and not my TV. This is all ridiculous in my opinion.  I really wonder if Cox turned off the signal for Apple TV APP on the XG2V2  and the 9865HDC boxes (COX.HELP informed me of this problem) forcing everyone to use a WIFI box?

A signal is a signal on the internet or a cable box and mine was working fine until August 18, 2024! Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

SteveA1
      New Contributor III

Thanks for the update as our issues are similar.  I haven't scheduled the Cox Technician to check cables as I really don't believe cabling is the issue since I checked several Apps and they work and it is only Max, Apple+, and Paramount+ that are working for us.  A similar situation occurred a few years ago and as suggested on another Forum it seemed like a "coding issue" and it did clear up after an update to the Contour Box.  Certainly won't hold my breath; but, I will keep checking for a few days to see if it is fixed before taking any next steps

ChrisJ2

If you've not cleared the cache in the box, these steps may help: 
        -Click on the Contour button on the remote.
        -Select the setting icon on the far right lower bottom of the screen to go into the settings
        -Arrow down to highlight and select privacy.
        -Arrow down and select Locally stored data
        -A box will appear on the tv screen asking if you want to clear local storage. Click "OK"
        I hope this helps. 

skRhody
      New Contributor III

Hi, 

New cable box should be compatible. box PX022ANM.

I tried everything on your message already...not working...thanks..

DannyS

Others may have suggestions that can help.  Another thing we can recommend is to reset the apple plus settings using gear icon>Privacy >Locally Stored Data to clear and cache data.   If you feel that you may need us to look into your account directly.  For assistance, Please reach us on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com anytime for assistance. We are always happy to help.

LarryACableGuy
    New Contributor II

Same thing happened to me.  Both Apple plus and Max cannot log in.  I provide detailed information on another stream about this same topic.  My guess is there is a code issue.   I recently was asked in the app if I wanted to to share my info with Netflix, from then on I lost my ability to connect.  I have removed sharing from all apps but still not working.  

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post at Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!

DDG702
      New Contributor II

How do you remove sharing?

SteveA1
    New Contributor III

Update to my earlier post.  As of 9:30 pm on 20 Aug -- MAX started to work.  Apple + and Paramount + continue to not work.  I did find an Internet Check in Netflix under the Get Help link on the left side of the screen.  I show my internet connection is connecting and the speed is approximately 23 mbps

Will update again when, for reason unknown to me, Apple and Paramount begin to work

skRhody
      New Contributor III

Great news and thanks for sharing. What model cable box are you using? Cox.help advised me my box XG2V2 and the 9865HDC box are not compatible with the Apple TV App. They also explained that "The incompatibility has to do with Apple TV+ and the firmware that runs those two boxes. As apps are updated, sometimes incompatibility occurs after the fact" which makes more sense to me.

The newer WIFI boxes are compatible with the Apple TV APP. I am not ready to change to a WIFI box because my Sony Bravia TV is not smart TV. My Netflix and Prime Apps continue to work fine with my current cable box. For now I will watch Apple TV on another device.

Cox.help was very helpful and I now have an answer to my issue. Not happy and no real solution for me, but they verified what I thought was happening that the firmware on my box no longer supports the updated Apple TV APP. I wanted to share this important information with the Community!

SteveA1
        New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing.  My boxes are different than yours.  I understand the firmware and software issues and like you, I am not ready to "swap boxes" as a solution as we have many hours of recorded shows stored on the DVR.  Cox should be able to update the firmware and/or software so their boxes continue to allow the applications the Contour box makes available to its customers without having to swap boxes.  I understand the basic Roku stick (and probably others) may allow these applications to play and will be looking into that as an option to have the applications work with our TV outside of Cox.