Forum Discussion

Workinmom87
New Contributor
12 months ago

Why does your internet go out daily

Why is it every single day for the past 4 years does my Internet go out sometimes it's for an hour around 5am other times from midnight to 6am or longer it never fails. 2 different apartments so different areas the apartment I currently live in is only a few years old, I changed modems it still happens. If there were other options other then cox in my area I'd definitely go with Verizon or T-Mobile to have a more reliable internet connection 24/7. I work odd hours online the internet going out has caused me to loose $ and last year a job bc I wasn't able to attend a meeting on zoom. I don't pay for my internet for it to do this on a daily basis. 

14 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    2 different apartments so different areas the apartment I currently live in

Can you explain this? Does it happen in two different apartments, AKA different modems? Also, does it effect wired as well as wireless? Last, what model modem do you have?

• They say "Maintenance 12-6am". Yes, I wish they would at least have a messaging system to give ppl heads up which day it will occur. They know which accounts/addresses they are working on. Not that hard to send mass notification for those particular residents affected. The other times it's congestion, everyone being online in your neighborhood 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

They do allow for notification through Cox.com. You can also request updates via texts. See here. That is when it is a planned outage and not short notice maintenance. 

TheEngDemiurge
        New Contributor

The power company sends out advanced notification. Cox just pulls the plug with no notice. Complete disdain for their customers. I’m so gone when I have an alternative.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

So, I hate saying this, because residential internet shouldn't go out like that every day, BUT, if your livelihood depends on the internet, I would switch to Cox Business. A business line will get more attention and MUCH better response to downtime than residential will. 

That being said, are you using the same kind of modem/router at each location? When your internet goes down, what do the lights on the modem show? Have you checked the Cox App during this time to see if there is an outage, or work being done?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't Cox Business(CB) run on the same HFC network as Cox residential? If so, won't they be effected by the same late night outages? I agree the support for CB is much better but expectations shouldn't be set too high IMO.

ExtraChrispy
        Contributor III

The primary difference when it comes to service issues is you get a much better SLA.  A SOHO connection may run on the same HFC network as residential but as a business customer you'll be much higher priority in terms of repair.

dunnm
    New Contributor III

The same this happens to me in Phoenix, AZ.   Usually anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours.  Calling support doesn't help.  All they do is ask to reset the modem, and then suggest that a technician come out with a possible charge of $70.  Very frustrating.  It has to be on their end because it's all their equipment up to the modem.  

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

If you want to troubleshoot your issue, feel free to make a thread with pertinent data.