Forum Discussion

ToonCat
New Contributor
4 years ago

unstable upload speed/stream

Ok. How come last night im able to have a stable steady 1080p 60fps stream, but tonight its a buffering mess with under 30 fps? checked out speed tests and found out im getting half the upload speed i Used to get. I'm forced to now stream in 720p and that still doesnt improve my frames and bit rate shouldnt have to dip below 4500, it would be extremely unoptimal

9 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @ToonCat

We like to take a closer and the upload issue, please email your full name, full address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
    Teresa_Hay
    New Contributor

I am having the same problem. My son came to me and said he's been able to stream until 2 days ago. We have reset the modem multiple times. I upgraded to gigablast last week. Our upload speed is 35, but is running right now at 15. I am so aggravated. 

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @ Teresa Hay
      We know how exasperating it is to have lag while gaming & streaming. When you are streaming are you hardwired or using wifi? I would ask the same thing about the speed test that you ran, are you using the 5GHz wifi band to test your speed or are you hardwired? I would ask that you please hardwired a computer directly into your modem and run a speed test at speedtest.net. Please let us know the results.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
    jdubya181
    New Contributor

Mine is even worse. Using dynamic bitrate with streamlabs OBS I was dropped to 75 bits per second, reducing my stream quality to an unrecognizable blur. If I disable this and set my bitrate to 3500 (normal for twitch) I drop 80% of my frames and frequently disconnect within seconds of starting my stream. On speedtest.net I can't even get 1mbps upload. 200mb down is great, but next to no upload is killing me. I've tried adjusting DNS settings, I always use a hardwire connection straight to the modem. My fans have been asking where I've been and why I'm not streaming, and I'm losing subscriptions. I lost my job due to COVID and streaming on twitch is my only source of income right now. My Cox connection has literally killed my job.

MrPresley
      New Contributor

Im having the same issues My upload is averaging .40 to 1.60

BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi @ Jdubya181
    I know how exasperating it is to have slow upload speeds while streaming. Are you having issues intermittently or are your upload speeds always bad? Also are there any splitters or amplifiers that are connected to the coaxial that is screwed into the back of your modem? If so can you please bypass any splitters/amplifiers and plug it directly into the wall from the modem?
    Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      jdubya181
      New Contributor

I never use splitters. I only use internet I don't have TV or phone. I specifically paid $75 to have a tech come out and close all of my leaks on different lines and have it specifically sent to my office. There is only usage in my office. I accidentally left my stream on for 20 hours once a few weeks ago, and my guess is Cox is now throttling me for my usage. I've read multiple articles about it. 

Allan
        @Jdubya181, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com so we can help. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.