Forum Discussion

CatzAndDogz
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Uncorrectables

Hey, guys. Like some others here, I have high uncorrectables, except I don't really know what that means, much less what to do about it. Can anyone help?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you have multiple lines running to different rooms, you have splitters.

Splitters.  One coaxial cable comes into your house.  This one cable is your Primary Feed from Cox.  The outlets in your other rooms connect to this Primary Feed with splitters.  For ease during the initial install (running cables & connecting rooms), all these splitters are usually in one location, such as the little box bolted onto the side of your house, the attic, behind the wall plate of the "one line coming out of the wall that runs straight to my Arris."  You'll just need to do some snooping around your house.  However, I feel your signal levels look good.  250 Mbps plan?  Not a bad measurement.

Cellular Ingress.  Know how a radio station sends programming to your radio?  Via a specific radio frequency.  "104.3 KCY Country!"  104.3 MHz.  How does a different radio station send programs?  Via a different radio frequency.  "99.3 The Fox Rocks!" 99.3 MHz.

If an electronic device, such as a microwave oven, cordless phone, baby monitor, is also using one of these frequencies, you'll get noise, interference, dropouts, etc on your radio.

Coaxial cable uses radio frequencies to transmit data.  An electronic device along the path of the coaxial cable...either inside or outside your home...is broadcasting on one of your uncorrectable channels and entering onto coaxial cable

In your logs, it looks like the lower 900 MHz frequencies (903 to 927) are getting corrupt data.  As Mouth noted, probably due to a cellular device (phone, tower, etc).

When did you notice this?  Had you recently installed an electronic device in your home?  Maybe rebooting the modem will assign different frequencies.  Rebooting will reset the uncorrectable counters, so you'll need to check it throughout the day.

CatzAndDogz
      New Contributor II

I've been noticing problems with my Internet on and off a while now, and occasionally I'd restart Arris just to see if that would help. But it was only in the past few days that it occurred to me to check the Arris interface to see if there were any clues there. That's when I saw the high number of uncorrectables and started wondering if there was any connection.

About newly installed electronic devices, I can't think of any -- unless the neighbors have something new.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        problems with my Internet on and off a while now

This is new.  Are these screenshots during a problematic time?  If not, post specs during a problem time.

It's normally behind a wall plate

What's connected to this wall plate within the room...cable box, modem?  I'm think you could remove the wall plate, disconnect the Input coax from the splitter and reconnect to the wall plate.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You'll always have some Uncorrectable unless you live next door to Cox.

Correctable & Uncorrectable is a system (Forward Error Correction) to fix corrupt data from Cox.  If your modem receives corrupt data, it can use FEC to "correct" the data.  However, if the data so corrupt and beyond correction, your modem will request Cox to resend the data.  Uncorrectables are the most concerning.

Upload an image from wherever you're seeing your uncorrectables.