Forum Discussion

Wisp
New Contributor
7 years ago

Spurrious zbot warnings

I've been getting intermittent warnings about zbot activity, which is a very scary thing. However, I followed the instructions, ran scanners and malware checks in safe mode, and everything came up clean on our two windows machines. I changed our wifi passwords and did everything short of reformatting the box. I looked online and every other zbot forum post had a similar experience. I'm convinced that the traffic detected is coming from one of our non-windows devices, even though zbot is a Windows trojan.

I ran an experiment, to see if maybe one of the sites I visit on my phone is infected and trying to install malware, but I need more information.

Can I get the exact times for the questionable traffic from my IP? (Do you need more info, or can you look it up based on my account?)

The recent email subject is:

[2.8.2018 40952939]  Compromised Computer Notification from Cox Communications

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies

• Wisp

Are you only getting warnings from us? Please send an email to: cox.help@cox.com and include your full address and the account holder's full name so I can take a look and see what we've sent. Please add a reference that says you're responding to a forums request.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Wisp
    New Contributor

Hi Stephanie,

That's correct: the only hint of zbot activity is the cox security alert emails. I will reach out to the support team via email to see if they have additional information.

Thanks,

Wisp

• Wisp

You're welcome! Feel free to reach out here 24/7.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator