Forum Discussion

Godzilla
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Port Forwarding using Arris S33 to Linksys EA6400

Hello forum members

I've just switched from ATT to Cox recently and have some issues with port forwarding.

With ATT: Arris BGW210-700 to Linksys EA6400, Port forwarding has been working on this setup. (ports 7, 9 and 1723)
With Cox: Arris S33 to Linksys EA6400, Port forwarding is NOT working on this setup. (ports 7, 9 and 1723)

On both setups, the IP address on Linksys EA6400 is changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1, so there is no change when I switched from ATT to Cox.

The Internet is working with Cox, but the port forwarding is NOT working.

Does Cox block the port forwarding?

It will be greatly appreciated if you can share your experience.

23 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

You do not port forward on a modem, only the router. The modem is a pass through device, it provides a routable IP address to your router. Make sure you edit your port forwarding on the router to router through the router alone, and completely ignore the modem. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Cox does not block port forwarding. I don't think there is a way with a stand alone modem. Is the port open/working when you connect direct to the S33? If so, do you have another router to try?

Also, why did you change the Linksys IP address? The modem is 192.168.100.1 so there should be no conflict with 192.168.1.1. Do you have more then one router or have a gateway connected anywhere in your network?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

BTW, do you have PPTP passthrough enabled on the router? See page 29 of manual for instructions how.

Godzilla
        New Contributor II

Thank you for your quick message.

As soon as I switch to Arris S33 on Cox network, port forwarding stopped.

IP address on Linksys EA6400 was changed because Arris BGW210-700 had 192.168.1.254.

Yes, PPTP passthrough is enabled on Linksys EA6400, and has been working with Arris BGW210-700 on ATT network.

No change on Linksys EA6400.

Arris BGW210-700 on ATT network was changed to Arris S33 on Cox network, which is the only change.