Forum Discussion

cavedon
New Contributor
10 days ago

Only IPv4 after modem upgrade (IPv6)

Hello,

Today I upgrade my modem from a Cisco DPC3010 to an Arris S33.

I had to chat with Cox support to register the new modem.

After they registered the modem, Internet started working only for IPv6 addresses. IPv4 addresses were not routed to the Internet.

The customer support representative only recommended to clear the cookies, and did not know what else to do apart from sending a technician. I could not wait for a technician to come, so I asked them to re-register the old modem. With the old modem it was again working in both IPv4 and IPv6.

Any recommendation about how to fix this? Try again?

Thanks,

Ludovico

5 Replies

cavedon
    New Contributor

Sorry, the subject is wrong. I meant:

Only IPv6 after modem upgrade (no IPv4)

NicholeC

Hi Cavedon,

Is it the same router as you had with the old modem? Is that being restarted after the new one is provisioned? The router settings should show whether it's enabled or disabled. Does it show it's still enabled after connecting the new modem?

cavedon
        New Contributor

Hi Nichole,

Is it the same router as you had with the old modem?

Yes (Google Nest Wifi)

Is that being restarted after the new one is provisioned?

yes

The router settings should show whether it's enabled or disabled. Does it show it's still enabled after connecting the new modem?

IPv6 is enabled.

There is no setting for IPv4.

Thanks,

Ludovico

cavedon
    New Contributor

With the new modem (Arris S33), and Google Nest Wifi as router:

• IPv6 disabled on the Nest router: everything works (ipv4 only, of course)
    • IPv6 enabled on the Nest router, and I plug in the router on the Arris modem after the lights stop blinking, everything works (ipv4 and ipv6)
    • IPv6 enabled on the Nest router, and I turn on the router and the modem at the same time (e.g. after a power outage), only IPv6 works, and the router never gets an IPv4 address (even after hours). If I unplug and replug the router into the modem, then IPv4 starts working again.

My main issue is that after a power outage (frequent here) I lose IPv4 connectivity...

ChrisJ2

The way you're resetting is what would be recommended to get everything back in sync. IPV4 seems to be available to you, but not so after there is a disruption, unless your re-establish that connection. This would not be an issue on the network. If this is only occurring with your new modem, you may contact the modem manufacturer, or reach out to Google Nest to ensure you have the latest firmware, as the modem will request the IP and that would seem to be where the problem resides. I hope this helps.