Forum Discussion

tmercury
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Need urgent help with cox e-mail account recovery

Hi, all. My Dad called me yesterday because he couldn't access his gmail. I went over there today to find that somehow his gmail password has been changed. He could have been hacked or he could have changed it on accident and forgot(he has mild dementia). His phone number is no longer associated with the gmail account, but his cox email is. Unfortunately, it appears cox deleted his email account a few years ago when we moved his service to an assisted living facility and then later back home. We never asked them to but they closed his account and opened a new one after 20+ years with cox. We have sent google a message but as far as they are concerned the account is working fine and don't appear to offer any further assistance other than to use the automated recovery options. The only recovery option for his gmail is by using his deleted cox email account, and he is literally in tears over losing all his pictures and contacts. We tried reaching out to Cox and chatted with "Dan" who said that there is no option to recover email accounts, but there must be someone who administers the database for their webmail- is there anyone from Cox that we could please reach out to? We can easily show that he is the account owner and user of the deleted email account. My father has been a cox customer since the 90's and we would be so grateful if we could find someone able to help us. Thanks -Bryan

3 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    tmercury, I'm terribly sorry to have to relay this information to you. Once the Cox email account has been deleted from our system, it cannot be recovered. In addition, Cox no longer offers the ability for new and existing Cox Internet customers to create new Cox Email accounts. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      tmercury
      New Contributor II

You guys can go ahead and delete/close this thread.. I went back over there today and discovered he has a password manager plugin for firefox. I was able to go back and retrieve each password he ever used for something and one of them worked. He had changed it without even knowing it. I set up 2 step verification and a recovery email and all that so hopefully he will be be good now.

tmercury
      New Contributor II

If there is still an admin maintaining the email server and its database it is absolutely possible to manually do it.