Forum Discussion

familyallen4
New Contributor
10 months ago

Massive spike

I have a massive spike, of over 600gb within 2 days, showing in my data usage. Told our browsing is causing the issue. WE'VE DONE NOTHING! Nothing different than we've always done. Past 3 months only used between 450 & 680 gb. (A little over half of what I pay for every month). But Dec 2nd & 3rd spiked over 600! WTF!? I told support that something is wrong... they say it's me. Uuuhh.... no sir! It. Is. Not. Again.... We've done nothing different than we've always done.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Have you bought any new equipment like a PS% for gaming or a new phone or tablet? Sometimes a new or replacement device will use a lot of data to update itself to replicate an older phone or tablet you replaced, or in the case of gaming systems, downloading your games and such. 

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

FYI, it looks to me like you may have mistakenly used a capital 5 in your post in place of a lower case 5.

Lordtrey
        New Contributor

I know I hate it when I miss caps on a 5 and having to go back with lowercase. 

Thank you for writing it like that. It truly gave me more happiness than anything in the past week at least. I will be able to use that feeling for days. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Check your usage break down for "Network Management and Testing". Seems like a problem affecting a lot of people. I would post the thread but something is broken with the forum right now. Links aren't working. Check the forum for the "What is “Network Management and Testing” data usage category?" post.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Cox may have renamed the “Network Management & Testing” usage category to "Communication Applications' a couple of month ago. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

For the first time, I noticed “Network Management & Testing” and "Communication Applications' are both listed in my 'Data usage activities' this month.  It would make month-to-month comparisons easier if we knew Cox wasn't changing data usage categories.