Forum Discussion

psycho
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Line quality issues are back again...

Hello all, 

My line quality issues have started to get bad again. It has been great since January, but looking at my Routers CONMON monitor, I now see this:

I rebooted all of my equipment (power cycled) and waited overnight to see if things improved.... it currently looks like this:

So, as you can see, it's an ongoing problem currently.

My connection is wired gigabit ethernet, so there are no WiFi issues to muddy the waters. All coaxial cable connections are tight.

I would call Cox, but quite frankly I'm sick of dealing with the phone technical support. It takes WAY too long to get to a useful person, and they always want to blame my modem, or some other issue. It's not my modem. This is the same modem as I've had all this time, throughout the last few packet loss issues.

Some back history on my upstream & packet loss issues:

Cox Line Quality Issues - Regular Upstream packet loss - Internet - Internet Forum - Cox Support Forums

[OK] Cox line quality issues are never-ending - Cox | DSLReports Forums

S
omeone call the field techs! The squirrels in our neighborhood love to chew on the cables... I'm betting that's the issue here ... again!

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    psycho
    New Contributor II

Adding my modem STATUS and EVENT LOG for your convenience:

psycho
      New Contributor II

If anyone’s curious, the latest issues started around NOON on Saturday 1st May 2021

psycho
    New Contributor II

Update, 3rd May 2021, 12:40pm

It looked like things were improving overnight from about 2:45am, but the packet loss issue is back as of 11:10am this morning:

I have also started a PingPlotter Pro session to 68.1.2.109 (dalsbprj01-ae1.0.rd.dl.cox.net) which appears to be the last internal COX.NET IP address before it transitions to the Internet.

Packet loss on a regular ping test shows about 20% loss.

psycho
    New Contributor II

Update, May 4th 2021 @ 5:25pm

This morning, I noticed increasing packet loss issues, so checked the Cox app. Sure enough, there was an outage in our area. I felt encouraged by this - maybe they’d noticed, maybe enough people were complaining, I don’t know.

Anyway, have a look at this timeline...

https://ibb.co/Ybgd8pV

And at the same time, I have been running the continuous Pingplotter:

https://ibb.co/nBrTQp7

Curious... I guess we’ll find out if this is a fix or no!

Dave9
      Contributor III

Best way to tell is to monitor the modem logs for T3 or T4 timeout errors. If you continue to get T3 timeouts the problem likely isn't fixed and you would need a tech to confirm the problem so it can be referred to plant maintenance.

psycho
        New Contributor II

Hi Dave,

It looks like whatever they were doing yesterday fixed the issues. The last 24 hours on my router's conmon monitor look like this:

The same is reflected in Pingplotter:

Also, the last T3 timeout I see in the modem event log was around 6:30pm last night:

5/4/2021 18:29 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=c8:63:fc:d6:03:dc;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;