Forum Discussion

Scionni
New Contributor
4 years ago

Intermittent internet in my neighborhood?

I've been experiencing this issue every day for over a month now. Internet will be fine for a portion of the day but then suddenly speeds will fall down to very low levels (15 down, 0.5 up usually) and stay that way for several hours. If the problem resolves before night, I notice then my connection repeatedly drops and comes back throughout the rest of the night. I've been checking my modem's logs and power levels seem fine but I have many uncorrectables (modem status and log screenshots in links below)

I have had three techs out here to check out the problem. All cables are new and there are no splitters, the modem is new and all connections are wired. There's nothing left for the techs to do at my house. For the past week I've been unable to call support because I keep getting an automated message saying there's currently no service in my neighborhood, however the Cox app does not indicate any outage in my area.

i.postimg.cc/.../Screenshot-2020-05-03-Status.png

i.postimg.cc/.../Screenshot-2020-05-03-Event-Log.png

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Scionni
    New Contributor

The problem still happens daily. Is there anyone here to help?

LisaH
      Hi Scionni. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • We have been having the same exact problem as you describe for the past 3 weeks.  We've had numerous techs out to my house and my neighbors.  I just shelled out a ton of money for a brand new cable modem (they kept insisting I needed to replace my modem despite the fact that my neighbor was having the exact same problem at the exact same times!).  We live in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County).  This is so frustrating.

LisaH
      Hi Yankees Fan 23. I can understand your frustration. To get help, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      mtwotheatt
      New Contributor

Also Fairfax County here. It started over a month ago. I have 300/30 service and get near that all day then around 7-8pm like clockwork it drops. Download is fine but Upload goes from 30 to 2-5 without fail. I'm convinced they are throttling the upload speed at night. I have a direct line to the street with a single splitter. I replaced my modem with the latest Docsis 3.1 hoping that would fix it. It didn't. 

Allan
        @Mtwotheatt, We can look further into that issue for you. Please send us an email with your full name and address to cox.hep@cox.com. Please include a brief description of the issue and any additional information such as traceroutes to the server in question. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • We have been having the same exact problem as you describe for the past 3 weeks.  We've had numerous techs out to my house and my neighbors.  I just shelled out a ton of money for a brand new cable modem (they kept insisting I needed to replace my modem despite the fact that my neighbor was having the exact same problem at the exact same times!).  We live in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County).  This is so frustrating.

Nate_D
    New Contributor

Same issues here with Cox. Mine started this week. Internet will be fast then either disconnect, or speed will drop to 5mb “on the 300mb plan”. Not sure what’s going on with Cox lately, but I’m thinking of changing service providers. 

DavidA2
      Former Moderator
      Nate D, I can certainly understand your concern and we would be happy to look into that for you. Please feel free to send us your service address in an email to cox.help@cox.com. Please also provide a link to this forum thread.

David
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
    chrisa511
    New Contributor II

Same problem here for the last three weeks in new orleans. Please let us know if you find a solution. I have chatted with multiple reps and have troubleshooted every possible issue and it has not been solved. I don’t think it’s coincidence that service goes out around the same time every night after working all day. 

• ive been having the same problem for the last month, every time i contact cox support they do the same reset the modem and telling me everything is ok, after reset internet work fine for couple of hours and then down again, they even made me buy a new modem, i did and the issue is still here, i need help from someone who know what am talking about i sent support my modem event log but they had no idea what that means.

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hi,

the purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone, and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. I think that if you are having connections issues for days then you need to speak to someone that can take a look at your signal directly.

Crystal
      Cox Support Forum Moderator