Forum Discussion

residences4225
New Contributor
24 days ago

Incorrect data usage!!!!

How can my data usage start doubling overnight?!?! I've changed my password and yesterday disconnected everything but one tv and watched a football game the whole day and cox still says I used 76GB!!!!! How?!?! I've never even come close to my limit yet 3 weeks in I'm at 1600GB and being auto charged!! Customer service just spouts off your category percentages like that's a real data point!!! Who there can tell me how my daily usage went from 37GB to 85GB when I haven't changed my usage or modem?!?!?!

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

FYI the data usage is actually checked by a third party and is 99.99% accurate. I have verified the data usage via my netgear RAXE 300 router, and found it to be spot on. 

As for what uses that much data, I can help you figure it out. Do you have alexa? Do you have security cameras/doorbell? Do you have one drive loaded on your cell phone? (Assisted someone recently in the forums and they found over 100gb daily going through their cell phone/one drive.  Alexa can cause problems, and unless a certain setting is turned off, it can share your internet service with others. 

IE-"Amazon Sidewalk creates a low-bandwidth network with the help of Sidewalk Bridge devices including select Echo and Ring devices. These Bridge devices share a small portion of your internet bandwidth which is pooled together to provide these services to you and your neighbors."

TV/4K can use as much as 8GB/hr. 

residences4225
      New Contributor

So it's accurate that for the 6 months I've had this account I've been under 1000 and with almost everything going to my mint mobile hotspot exceptone non-4k tv, I'm now pulling 1500 in 3 weeks?  

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post at Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!