Forum Discussion

mshorey01
New Contributor
8 months ago

Having to reboot modem every day

Starting about 2 weeks ago I have to reboot my SB8200 at least once a day.  Internet just completely stops working.  Massive packet loss to the point where I can't pull up a web page.  Rebooting devices downstream of the modem (gateway, wifi, client devices) makes no difference.  As soon as I reboot the modem everything starts working again.  Support has been no help and just run me in circles saying, "The signal to the modem is fine." I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion as to what to do next.  I've included a couple pictures of my connection status page.  Thanks.

Wwwyzzerdd
    New Contributor

My internet is doing the same thing. Regardless of my personal router vs Cox’s the problem persists. Support is absolutely no help, the troubleshooting isn’t getting to the root of the issue. Cox needs to figure out why my router requires a physical reset each day. We pay for 500mbps yet every day the router slows to a crawl where every device is getting 50mbps or less. It’s not the RG, it’s the signal down stream and Cox can’t seem to fix it.

MichaelJ

Hi Wwwyzzerdd, I am sorry to hear that you are having any issues with your internet signal. I know how frustrating that must be for you, The Forums members may have some helpful tips and advice for you, but if you would like to troubleshoot further, please feel free to reach out to us through Facebook or X(formerly Twitter, CoxHelp). We are on Social Media 24/7. Please include a link to this thread, Thank you for your patience, 

Batman
    New Contributor

Same problem here, Arizona, and have replaced modem multiple times.

We have Gigabyte service but never expected that speed. But speeds of 10-25  are ridiculous. Need to restart our modem when streaming annoyingly buffers. 

Eeoro mesh works well when it works after restarting modem. We have connected devices that are OK after restart. Just don't want to continually restart. 

Older house that required external cabling years ago. External across the roof with splitter up there. LOTS of sun and last night thunderstorm. Speed fell off to 5. So suspect wiring is bad. We pay for Cox wiring support.

How do we get Cox to check it all out?

Thanks.

Allan

Hello. I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this issue to cox.help@cox.com 

rglancey
    New Contributor II

My internet is doing the same thing. Started about a month ago. Eventually a Cox technician found a bad Amplifier outside on the pole line. After replacing it everything worked (for a while) I put in a new modem today and got everything working. No problems until an hour ago. I had to reboot the Orbi750 router/modem and everything started working again. I’ve had 3 Cox technicians out over the last 2 months. I may ask them to replace the whole cable that comes off the line to my router/modem. Nothing else has worked. May look at getting another ISP for my service. Tired of this !

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

There's a setting in Netgear routers, that stops data after a certain amount of data has passed through it. Make sure that setting is disabled. I have an RAXE300, and was having a similar issue, and found that setting. I disabled it, and haven't had a problem since. 

I replaced my equipment recently, and it ran great, but required restart daily. My PREVIOUS all in one, wifi modem, (DG2460) didn't. So - I started going through all the settings, and even though netgear lists this as being set to disabled by default, I found it wasn't. You may have something similar on the Orbi. 

rglancey
        New Contributor II

Found my problem. Was a poorly rigged up ground wire from the incoming connector going to the frame of my air conditioning system.  (Which is only 2 feet away) I Installed a ground rod into the earth and connected to it. No more problems after giving it a “Real Ground".  Unbelievable the tech’s didn’t see or check this.  . 

Allan

Hello. I can certainly understand your concern with having to reboot the modem multiple times. I recommend sending an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of the issue to cox.help@cox.com