Forum Discussion

Jason_Simecka
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Extreme Data Usage

For the past few years, I averaged 300 GB per month until now.  In December, I used 1,400 GB and in January it will exceed 1800 GB.  I changed out my 5 year old purchased modem/router to the Cox equipment.  In monitoring my usage, there are normal days that average 15GB/day and extreme days that average 185GB.  The most has been 300 GB.  The usage will be 280GB one day, then 5GB, then 250GB, then 6GB.  It seems to be one extreme or another.  It's my wife and I and we stream 3-4 hours/day on Netflix, have a couple of PC's and our iPhones.  I have paused certain devices and it doesn't seem to be a specific device.

To remedy the situation, Cox suggested I get the unlimited data plan (big surprise).  I am at a total loss.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello @Jason.Simecka,

I'm sorry that you are having an issue with the data usage. I'm here to help. I have included some links that may help. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

www.cox.com/.../unlimited-and-500-gb-additional-data-plans.html -data plans
    www.cox.com/.../data-usage.html -learn about data

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Jason_Simecka
      New Contributor II

Crystal S.  I have read the articles and called Cox several times on the issue.  Their solution is to upgrade to the Unlimited Plan.  My son has AT&T and with his App he can tell exactly how much data each device uses each day.  

Andrew_Wees
        Contributor III

is there any chance there is a virus or mailware on the pc?

mdgil
    New Contributor II

I have the same issue.  The data usage does not line up to actual usage.  It feels like a scam considering that when I first signed up my account was unlimited.  They take it away just to try to charge me for what I used to have. During the last week our supposed usage jimled a lot and now I'm hitting  lose to this new limit 5 day away from a new cycle. I turned off my modem and am using my unlimited cell data to run our streaming devices.  Cox could not care any less. Dropping cox as soon as I move all bills, online accounts , etc to a free gmail account. Thia 22+ year Cox account is leaving over their greed. 

Jason_Simecka
      New Contributor II

I am wondering if it's my Amazon Fire TV in an update loop.  

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Jason.Simecka

You should be able to look at each device using the WiFi app looking under network activity. Please check the link for all the features the app offers www.cox.com/.../cox-panoramic-wifi-app-features.html. It's possible the Amazon Fire TV is the cause, just click on that device and check the usage for up to 30 days just slide it to view the past 30 days

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator