Forum Discussion

Rayy
New Contributor
5 years ago

Daily Outages, traceroute shows many lost packets, who is at fault?

Hello all,

For the last 2-3 weeks i've had horrible outages on my internet service.  I pay for 200 down/10 up and I will get that a fair amount of the time.  However, about 4-5 times a day my connection slows to a crawl and i eventually lose all connection.  It will be horribly spotty connection for several minutes.  Tonight, however, it's been lasting for about 45 minutes now, which is why I'm making this post.

I play a lot of games and I'll randomly spike to 800+ ms in game.  When it happens i run a traceroute and notice packet losses at multiple points throughout the test.  I don't know what the issue is.  I always use an ethernet cable connected directly to the modem.  

any ideas?

2 Replies

p_pham
    New Contributor III

trust me, you're not the only one.  i am too a victim of this fraud.  make sure u ask them for compensation.  it's ridiculous that if u don't complain u wont get a credit for it.  those people who pay their hard earn money for cox services are getting cheap services without compensation.  it's pretty much a fraud on its own.  they have this outage notice in your cox account that keeps staying there for days.  i suggest u going back to AT&T.  My area only serves 50 Mbps for AT&T, but it's better than 10 Mbps that I'm getting when I'm paying for 150Mbps!