Forum Discussion

Bill_K1
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Cox Gigablast and Motorola MB8600 modem issues/firmware updates!~

Motorola/Cox,

I am between a rock and a hard place and neither of you are helping me!

Cox flat out said and it is also on their website – They do NOT provide firmware updates for user owned/3rd party modems.

I purchased an MB8600 a few months ago and it just degraded to less than 50% speed on my 1GB service. The tech tested the line all the way from road to modem connect and it is 1.3GB down / 30 MB upload. The modem now consistently spits out around 360MB to my desktop direct connect via CAT6 Ethernet.

The tech arrived yesterday and after 2 hours it was agreed by both of us the modem needs a FIRMWARE update. Currently the modem is on version 8600-18.2.9 and was working fine for last 4 months until now. I see there is a history of Cox not updating user's modems. I only purchased my own after two visits to my hours by 3 different Cox techs and 7 hours of troubleshooting could NOT find the problem, but they all agreed my line to the modem was AWESOME!

I need someone to upgrade this modem or I have to return it for a refund with another vendor’s modem.

Bill K

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Mike_Hobbs
    New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same issue. Started about 6 weeks ago. Drops connection 4-6 times per day. I can reset modem via the cox app and it works for a while. Can unplug and plug back in the modem and it works for a while.. Have waited for tech support on phone for 4hours. I have waited on the chat feature for 2 hours.

No one can resolve my issue. One tech blamed it on my modem, Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS3.1. Motorola checked it no issue. Another tech blamed it on overuse from users during pandemic and all working from home. One said trouble in my area and would be resolved next day. I 'm just beyond frustrated paying $175 month for tv/internet and cant stay connected especially since my security cameras are IP based.

If many users are experiencing this, Cox should correct it or compensate us. This could be a class action arbitration if enough customers get upset and want to push the issue and lawyers get involved 

• @Bill K, Your modem does have the most current firmware update. Also, I have sent some signals to the modem from our side. Please let us know if there is any change with the speeds. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.