Forum Discussion

DJGem
New Contributor
7 years ago

Cox data use meter is WHACK

First, I'd like to say that I have been a Cox customer for about 15 years now and the longer I've been with them the more $$$ I pay for worse service. I'd love to switch but unfortunately there's no other internet provider to the apartment complex that I live in. I will also say that I have worked for another ISP as a tier 2 technician; I know my $hit and I know there's a problem here.

Back in mid 2017 I received an email regarding the new data caps that Cox was planning to roll out. The email advised me that since I'd NEVER EXCEEDED 300GB of data use in one billing cycle that I'd most likely not be affected by the new 1TB (1,020GB) cap that was being rolled out. On my Sep-Oct bill the Cox meter showed I'd use 149GB of data but then all hell broke lose.

I find it awfully odd that the very month that Cox begins charging for data use over 1TB, my use suddenly jumped to 1,020 GB on my Oct-Nov billing cycle. Then on the Nov-Dec bill I saw a whopping 1,135GB of data! Funny though, on Nov 30th (which is about midway in the billing cycle) I had a tech out because I was experiencing severe packet loss, latency and frequent modem reboots. I was told  that the wiring to our apt was too short for it to be cut any more and that he would hook us up to the lines for another unit for now. If we had future problems then Cox would have to get permission from the manager to install new lines to our unit.

On Dec 16th I began requesting all of our data use logs from Jan 2017 to the current billing cycle; they are not available online to the customer. I was told that a ticket would be opened to escalate my request. ***TICKET OPENED***

I called again on Jan 4th I spoke with a tier 2 tech who advised they could see there were still signal issues and a tech was scheduled to come out 01/05/2018. I also expressed my concerns regarding my supposed data use which was an absolutely INSANE 1,135GB on my Dec-Jan billing cycle. Tier 2 adv that ticket would be passed to the "back end" because I was requesting the data use logs and he said all the tier 1 has access to is "what's online". I was asking for my data use logs from May 2016 through the current billing cycle. Please note that the ticket was never "touched" by anyone and I had never been given the logs nor had I been contacted.

Jan 6th I called again because I was "over" my data limit and I ended up upgrading to the additional 500GB per month for $29.99 extra. I also had another tech out due to packet loss, latency and frequent modem reboots. After having upgraded my end data use for my Dec-Jan billing cycle was 1,135GB. ***TICKET STILL OPEN***

Jan 17th I upgraded to the UNLIMITED data plan because I was so close to exceeding the additional 500 GB plan on the Dec-Jan billing cycle. I also chatted with tech support online and here's some of what the tech had to say....

Bastian G.
 at 10:01, Jan 17:
I understand how frustrating this can be Misty, since you said that you are totally sure that this should not be like this, I would like to escalate this problem to a higher department that are in charge to verify the data usage, if there is any discrepancy they will be able to notice about it and correct it.

Misty
 at 10:02, Jan 17:
Plus I'm still waiting to get the data usage logs for 01/01/17 through 12/31/17.

Bastian G.
 at 10:03, Jan 17:
Yes, I can see that one in my system, however it has not been solved yet, I will update this escalation and place it as a high priority one Misty, I want to get this solved as soon as it is possible for you.

Bastian G.
 at 10:05, Jan 17:
No, that is not the issue in this case that does not happen, this data usage discrepancy happens due to a system error.

Bastian G.
I have updated the escalation for you Misty

Misty Cahal
Any idea when I should hear back?

Bastian G.
 at 10:06, Jan 17:
You should be notified within 24 to 48 hours, since I have left clear notations about this problem has not been solved in a long time.

***TICKET STILL OPEN and now escalated***

Today, Jan 28th, I contacted tech support online again and guess what? The ticket is STILL OPEN and no one has touched it. Honestly.... I'm calling **. Let's do a quick recap...

Sept-Oct: 149GB data

Oct-Nov: 1,020GB data (DATA CAP GOES IN TO EFFECT)

Nov-Dec:1,135GB data

Dec-Jan: 1,328GB data

My wireless is secured (I even changed the password back in Dec), I constantly monitor the devices connected to my network to verify only my devices are on, I verified that the ONE PC in my home does not have any viruses/malware and no torrenting is done in my home. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end. There is something messed up on Cox's end here and I am PAYING for it!!!! If this doesn't get resolved soon then I will be forced to seek legal help because I was injured at work and have been on workman's comp for some months now and I simply can't afford this.

Signed,

Misty

a pissed off C***** customer

16 Replies