- We have been having terrible internet service the 8th, and I called to report it on the 9th. Nothing has been done, nobody has even checked outside wiring or the box that serves our small apartment building. Been getting inconsistent speed, half the speed we're paying for when it is working, massive packet loss, lag spikes, trouble streaming movies, can't stream to streaming services like Facebook Live or Twitch due to having no upload speed at all. Have swapped out cables between modem and wall outlet, there are no splitters in the house as we only have internet and single cable from wall to modem. Modem is roughly 3 months old and has never displayed trouble before. It's not the modem. Internet worked fine for everything a week ago with no issues. First issues noticed on 8th with worsening service on 9th prompting tech support call. Have reset the modem more than 100 times to no avail. Disconnecting and reconnecting the modem will not fix the issue. There is never, ever, any valid reason to even reset or restart the modem, period. So please, stop and learn how to do your job. Also, ethernet cables have been swapped out with 3 different ones, still the same problem. We have multiple computers, all display the same problem no matter which is use to speed test or ping plot or trace route. This evening I decided to look at the hole in the ground that you call a connection box. There's no box to it. There is only a hole in the ground, full of dirt, leaves and water all over your antique cable equipment along with a dozen or more splitters and a rat nest of disorganized wiring of which only 2 are marked for the 8 apartments in our building. I have no idea which cable is supposed to be mine. Some of the cables are just laying free and exposed, some not even terminated. Some cables have splitters with multiple cables attached, but the other side connected to nothing and not terminated. There's also a large, roughly inch-round copper grounding rod driven into the hole apparently to serve as a ground for the equipment. BUT THERE IS NOTHING HOOKED TO THE GROUNDING ROD. WHY??? These pictures you are about to see are awful. And it tells you all you need to know about how little Cox cares about us customers. I've seen better wiring jobs with telegraph wiring in the 1880s. There's no excuse for this filth in 2019. I'm guessing this explains why everytime it rains that we have internet problems. Can you imagine how much corrosion is on that connectors and splitters? Everything is exposed to the elements. The building next door I thought might be better since they have an actual above-ground cable box, but it looks like it's been ripped open, door laying down, cables hanging out everywhere, theirs gets rained on too. And between our building and the building next to us, neither cable system is secured to prevent tampering or stealing of service, so for all I know someone has likely tapped into our connection and is stealing our internet service. I demand something be done about this and get this mess cleaned up along with giving us our internet service we're paying $85 a month for. And we better be getting deductions from our bill for our lack of service since it is no fault of our own and I've reported it numerous times over the past few days. I may also have to seek a complaint with the Better Business Bureau is no serious action is taken to resolve our problems. It is not our modem. It's your lack of concern for your customers. https://imgur.com/sDa9iJe https://imgur.com/Wx1lPzP https://imgur.com/F3qSjp4 https://imgur.com/N90GkLu
- I've been getting outages due to the upstream dropping out on my internet connection for more than 6 months now. Downloads, watching streams, podcasts, hearing and seeing people on voice/video calls and are fine if they've already started. Uploads drop, voice/video calls break up for listeners, website requests take forever, games get disconnected. Modem upstream during packet loss: Bottom row with red question marks is packet loss. Other rows are just hops which sometimes don't respond (`mtr one.one.one.one`): I can't even get a screenshot without packet loss over the past few hours. I've rebooted my modem. I have a new cable and connectors from the box outside directly to my modem 2 times over. I've upgraded my modem 2 times and now have one of the best (MG8702) if not the best one supported by Cox. I've had several techs out to troubleshoot the issue. Some of them have replaced the same cable or connector as previous techs have done. One tech actually worked on something up the street, which improved the connection dropping a little. Another of the techs said there wasn't really anything they could do to fix it and that the lines are over-saturated because everyone is working from home now. If this is actually a problem, it sounds like a case to expand infrastructure rather than telling me it's all used up. I've confirmed with the techs that have visited that there's an issue with the upstream signals somewhere between the box at the utility pole and further up the chain. It doesn't seem like this issue will every be fixed. I've burned a lot of my time (days and days), burned money upgrading hardware that was fine, talking with customer support, and waiting for techs. I've been having to use my phone as a mobile hot-spot to ensure a consistent connection for voice and video calls. If this keeps up I think I'm just going to stop wasting money on useless internet and dump Cox and switch to a mobile hot-spot, since I end doing that anyway.Solved
- Since I first discovered this forum I've read many dozens of questions in which users blame Cox for their email or internet problems. Many others chime in with posts like "Yeah, I have the same problem" or something like "Me too. I'm sick of it. Cox **" But have these whiners called Cox technical support, describing their problem in an intelligible and thoroughly descriptive manner? I can surmise from the posts and replies that the answer is mostly "No". My experience with Cox has been more then satisfactory. I did have to call Cox technical support once for a modem issue that only they could resolve.. And they did, in a heartbeat. If you have internet problems and your device is a PC then I can tell you the primary source of such problems are: - Registry cleaners like Ccleaner et al. If you let programs such as this modify your registry you might as well reinstall Wndows to get it working properly again. - Installing device drivers from "who knows where". - 3rd-party ant-malware software. You don't need that **. Rely on Windows Defender. - Editing your registry or configuration based on info from non-Microsoft websites or upon the advice of your neighbor's cousin's 14 year old "PC guru" son. And the list goes on. I'm an EE and certified IT specialist. Let Windows take care of itself. Uninstall 3rd party anti-malware software. Don't install drivers from ANY of the many "device driver" sites. Don't open emails from sources you don't recognize and don't go browsing where you shouldn't be browsing. Or you could install one of the many Linux distros. But if you're not an expert coder you'll find yourself up the creak without a paddle. At this point all I can say is that I'm running Window 10 with all current updates installed and my device drivers are maintained by appropriate sources. Windows runs great and my Cox internet connectivity is impeccable. If you have a problem, call Cox. Most of the recommendations you may receive here are 3rd party misinformation, even from the moderator (sorry, whoever you are but dems da facts).
- If you don't want to read this paragraph at the bottom about me complaining about Cox, then just read this: " The Cox Panoramic wifi modem/router that you rent for 11$ a month does not work the way it is advertised, and you are much better off going with a separate modem and router that is meant for providing high speed internet service". This type of internet works for laptops, Netflix, and basic streaming services. But when it comes to playing online video games, forget it. Even if you use the ethernet, you only will get between 200-300Mbps download, and 2.9Mbps upload speed. These speeds still lag when you play online video games". I decided to upgrade my service to cox Gigablast as of 20March2020. With the world under quarantine, especially the entire state of California, I said okay I definitely cannot deal with the Lag on PS4 that I have been dealing anymore. So I went to the local cox store after setting up my new service online and picked up my device. The customer service representative said it wasn't necessary that I rent the device, as I could buy a separate modem and router from Best Buy or where-ever, but it would cost about $400 with a separate modem and router. I decided to try out the cox panoramic modem+router combo that they offer for 11$ a month. I go home, plug it in and it was a super easy set up using the app for it. I connect it to my PS4 and test the connection. This piece of garbage (which is supposed to put out up to 900+ mbps basically almost 1 Gbps) only put out 24.9 Mbps download and 2.4 Mbps upload. This is down right criminal at these speeds. But before I called my lawyer, I decided to call tech support, so that someone could come out and see if the signal needs to be adjusted at my apartments. They are supposed to come out tomorrow (March 23, 2020) and hopefully fix it. Just the fact that I have to go the extra mile, and MAYBE get the issue fixed is absolutely ridiculous.My apartments are literally ONLY able to get Cox service. Isn't this considered a MONOPOLYat this point, since there is no other competition available? I have always had so many issues with cox, and its sad that they can't provide the working class of the America a fast internet service, especially whatwe are paying them for. I will hopefully remember to make another post tomorrow afterPAYING a tech support member a FEE in order to get my SERVICE that I justPAID for to WORK like it is ALREADY SUPPOSED TO. If it doesn't, well maybe I need to start putting this money that I am paying for this BS service towards law school, so that I can sue them into bankruptcy. Either that or call my friend at the local new station and put this company in the spotlight. Oh and if you don't believe me, then why would they sell cox Panoramic Pods separately? I have my PS4 sitting right next to the wifi box and it doesn't do any better than 24.9mbps. if you plug it in via ethernet, the best that I got was just below 300mbps. This is a speed that still lags during a online video game like Call of Duty. If you don't want to read this paragraph above about me complaining about Cox, then just read this: " The Cox Panoramic wifi modem/router that you rent for 11$ a month does not work the way it is advertised, and you are much better off going with a separate modem and router that is meant for providing high speed internet service". This type of internet works for laptops, Netflix, and basic streaming services. But when it comes to playing online video games, forget it. Even if you use the ethernet, you only will get between 200-300Mbps download, and 2.9Mbps upload speed. These speeds still lag when you play online video games".
- I have been dealing with this issue for coming up on 8 months now. I called back in January about massive packet loss. The rep I spoke to basically said that it could be the modem. I did not believe this to be an issue but decided to look up the modem I had at the time and found out that it had a Puma 6 chipset which can cause issues with online games and other issues, so I decided I might as well replace it anyway. Went out the next day and spent a little over $200 on a new modem. Called and got it updated to my account and still experiencing the same issues. At this time I then start experiencing issues with internet outages and unstable internet connections. Mostly my upload will not be consistent and will eventually just zero out and lose connection but running a speed test will show that I am still getting about 30mbs up. This mostly happened at night until early morning until around 9AM then go back to being mostly fine throughout the day. I call again and they suggest sending a service tech out. The tech comes and tests my hardware and finds no problems but suggested replacing the line in the wall and that could be the issue. Issues is still not resolved. Call again and they send another service tech out and again is not able to replicate issues since they come after the issue clears up. They suggest replacing the line that runs from the house to the box in the front yard. Ok. They replace this and still the issue is happening. I consult with a friend that now lives in Germany that does live streaming for a living and told me that he dealt with this exact same issue before he moved and told me that it is a problem with the node and I will need to keep calling and harassing Cox until they come out and fix it because getting them to escalate anything is a pain. At this time I notice that there have been multiple Cox trucks out in my area by my house just down the street over the months and have had 2 internet outages completely that Cox was aware of. I have had other techs out at least 1 per month at this point. I call Cox again and tell them that I am still experiencing the same issues but now the issue is starting to get worse because it is happening earlier in the day. They tell me again that they need to send another service tech out. I tell them that they have already sent multiple to the house and they never find anything or do anything that makes any difference and want to get this escalated and taken care of and that they need to come look at the node. The rep informs me that the only way that they can get this escalated to someone that can come look at the node is to have 3 service techs out within the same month and that the service tech needs to be the one to escalate it to that point. They schedule the tech to come out again and he says that he does see the packet loss and was working with someone in "engineering"? (I believe that was the department he said) and that he would get this escalated and that they should be reaching out to me within 24-48 hours. 2 Days go by and I have not heard anything from Cox. I call them to get the details on if they have come out and was told that they have come out but wasn't told what they had done. I let a few days go by and still experiencing issues. The internet is worse than ever. My connection is not stable at all. My upload will fluctuate constantly and will eventually 0 out and just give up. Packet loss is worse that ever upwards of 50-60 percent. I call Cox again and ask to speak to a manager. She tries to get me to tell her what is going on but I do not want to have to repeat myself to her then the manager. I then have to tell her what is going on and that I need to get this issue resolved. She sounds like she is consulting with someone on her end since she is pausing a lot and then tells me that she will get the issue escalated with her supervisor's help. 2 more days go by and I don't hear anything from Cox. I call Cox again and demand to speak to a manager. I get to a manager and explain everything that I have been going through. I tell her that I called and was told that my issue was getting escalated and that there should be a ticket for it. The manager tells me that they opened the wrong type of ticket and that the escalation had been cancelled. I do not have her name but this manager was very nice and professional and actually sounded like she knew what she was talking about. She got my issue escalated and scheduled them to come look at the node FINALLY and the tech was out the next day. I even saw the tech and know where the node is now. A week goes by and within this week it seems that everything has been resolved. Some packet loss here and there but Its nothing terrible like it was. Upload was solid as well and no issues. Then all the sudden everything starts coming back. Upload is completely unreliable and unstable. Again the upload will completely zero out and just give up and packet loss is back. The issues I am experiencing are happening all the time now. The packet loss is constantly happening and the upload is never stable. I work from home and upload very large files and do streaming on the side. The files I upload will time out and eventually fail and streaming is constantly dropping frames and will eventually disconnect from Twitch. I call again and inform them that the issue is happening again. I have to explain everything to a rep and am told that they will get my issue escalated. I ask to speak to manager/supervisor. They transfer me over and the supervisor tells me that the previous rep is now getting it escalated and should be here on Monday 7/29/2019 and that I will not have to be home for this. Today is 7/29/2019 and at 6:30PM I have not noticed any Cox truck down my street and they did not leave a thing on my door letting me know that service was done. I call Cox for an update and speak to a rep that informs me that a ticket was open but can not inform me when they will be out and was scheduled for today. I hang up because that is not an acceptable answer. I call again and ask to a supervisor/manager. (I know at this point that Cox's Tier 1 reps are almost worthless and cannot get the information you need for anything you follow up with) The supervisor explains to me that they opened a ticket that will go no where because they are not able to escalate tickets to that department. The rep I spoke with is Brittany 6773. She informed me that to get this properly escalated that she needs to send a service tech out. I tell her I do not want any service techs to come to my house anymore because they do nothing and they typically say they do not see an issue. She informs me that she will re-open the ticket I had before when they came and looked at the node and will follow up with me tomorrow. I am now waiting for this to see if it eventually goes through. My experience with Cox has been completely miserable. It has been 8 months and I am still dealing with the same issues and nothing has been resolved. They have only credited me $100 dollars which doesn't even cover a full month and all I have is internet service. I pay $86 per month and another $50 a month for their unlimited data plan. Which Cox should not be limiting data in the first place. I have been lied to 2 times and have been told that an issue was escalated and will be taken care of to find out that the ticket was escalated to the wrong department. I have had MULTIPLE techs come to my house to do basically nothing because anything they do does not effect the issue in anyway. I have called and had to explain my situation so many times to these reps and supervisors which always try to up sale to a higher plan or a business account which even if I did it is still going through the same node and will still be experiencing the same issues.I have also been told that they can not credit me anything until the work gets done and the issue is resolved which I know they are not going to credit me the last 8 months of the same issue. I am completely at a loss at this point and do not know what else to do to get Cox to fix this issue with the packet loss and unstable connection. I am extremely frustrated and thinking at this point of just switching to Century Link and seeing if their lower speed connection will at least be stable enough for me to use my internet... I have lost so much time and I am sure have cost COX quite a bit of money to have all these techs sent out and take up the time speaking to reps on the phone but they do not seem to care about their customers. I have to deal with someone different every time I call them and explain my situation to them every time. COX has not helped me with my issues with their service and at this point do not believe they will.
- I've been a loyal customer for a year now and my internet went up to $89.99 a month.... after notifying the "Loyalty Department" I was told the only discount they could give me was $15 off /month(starting next month) and they would not be able to honor that deal. My previous internet company (SUDDENLINK) would always honor the deal when I complained about unfair pricing. I feel like I am being taken advantage of yet no one seems to care.
Anyone have ACP dept phone # --Representatives should be educated better about ACP and not be condescendingExtremely frustratedand saddened at the treatment and lack of knowledgeby some Cox employees. I called requesting to speak to the ACP dept. I have spoken to them in the past and the gentleman told me there were two specific people assigned to these accounts. I do not know why the agents act like they have no idea what I am talking about, its a secret & refuse to provide the number or transfer. When I then ask for "customer service" I find out later that they say "Oh well I am tech support, not customer service but.... " wait what? So not only you cant help me but you lied. I was transferred 4 times- all agents tried to tell me I was notgoing to get a better deal. **I want to downgrade my service. I can notafford it.** it isnot about a better deal. Not sure what they do notunderstand.It is the whole reason I have the ACP. I only temporarily upgraded while the kids were all home for the holidays. Eventually, I get tto "loyalty & retention" because Im told if I can notafford the bill any longer at the 1G price maybe I should cancel & provideme the local storesaddress to return the equipment. Great way to treat a customer of over 10 years. Finally, I gave up and I did the downgrade myself online (more than half the speed) and now my bill is TRIPLE what it was. Seems dishonest and shady. Why cant I speak to the dept that handles ACP accts? They were so helpful. I should not be treated poorly or talked down to because I have a coupon. Can anyone please help?Solved
- Back in January, (due to the holidays) I had to set up a post dated payment to prevent my services from being cut off. I did so, I MANUALLY entered my card information, double checked and set up the payment. The day the payment was charged, for some reason it was declined and returned.The first thing I did was call my bank, checked for blocks and funds and EVERYTHING WITH MY BANK WAS IN ORDER. When I saw I was charged another fee for this I called and spoke to a supervisor and was then informed AFTER he verified my which card I used, that they had a different card on file (only on their end because it did not appear on my end) I haven't had this card in years and did not even have saved anywhere on my account. I have called and chatted several times, with supervisors and regular employees, I have been hung up on twice over this, I was a assured a supervisor would call me back ASAP and still nothing. I was informed my case was passed on several times to someone who can help me. Not once have I gotten a call back or update on my case. (Above and beyond with their customer service apparently). When I finally called back, I was told it was denied again and I do not find this is not a fair practice. What is comes down to is Cox charging ME a fee for THEIR mistake (twice!) and getting away with it by giving me the run around. I have been a customer of Cox since 2007 (not 2010 like they told me!) I have spent thousands of dollars as a customer for the past 12 years, and this forum is my last attempt at giving Cox the chance to do right by a long time customer otherwise we part ways here.
- There are a lot of complaints about service availability on this forum yet no answers. The responses are all the same... "We are sorry, feel free to contact us, have a nice day.". I am beyond frustrated and entirely dissatisfied with Cox. I am trapped as Cox has a monopoly in my area. I have been having connectivity issues consistently over the past few months. Last night (I work nights) internet was down from 9:30 pm until 9am this morning. The only answers are we are aware and working on it. That's my number one frustration is poor reliability with zero consistent results In resolving and no accountability. Where else do you pay for service, not get it, but are still required to pay????. My second frustration is the service level. I pay for 900+G service but have never gotten much over 300G. It's like renting a limosine but getting a compact. I have never encountered amore dishonest company than Cox. They need to offer everyone their fastest service but prorate based on what is actually delivered. I can't wait until I can move away from Cox. Guaranteed they would be out of business with these unethical practices if they weren't a monopoly!
- I have a rental property in Mesa, Arizona. My renters wanted a cable package included, so I gave in and contacted Cox. Initially I asked for a package rate advertised as 89.99, basic cable/internet (For lack of a better word as they will say, there is no "Basic" cable Mr. Campbell). Whatever, so on the day of installation I called to check on everything. I found out my "Basic" cable was only local channels, nothing "Cable" about it. (They got me on a play of words). I asked then to update to "Cable," from what I had initially asked for. The lady was insistent I had to deal with her, not the installer, whom by the way was explained by my father overseeing the installation as "All over the place, like he was on drugs, and in an extreme hurry." I had purchased an independent modem as I was not wanting to pay for the "Modem" they wanted to charge me for. I added the "Phone" package, it was cheaper with the phone, as opposed to without the phone, didn't need it, but whatever. I asked what my total bill would be when the lady informed me $127.30, inclusive of taxes for the first year, and the second year would be $147.30. This was a two year agreement, cancellation would be pro-rated each month. Sorry, the internet was 100 mb speeds, and 140 channels for cable, with two tv's connected. I have chatted with cox at least 4 times over this mess, and still nothing! They credited a one time credit, but why if they were "Right?" I was not "Told" about some panoramic box I needed to "Work the phone!" That is a bunch of BS, getting me in, right! I would have cancelled right away if I was in Arizona, trust me, but my renters needed internet for their business purposes, and I was tired of dealing with finding a provider. I can say, I will be cancelling services when I move there in June! I own my own handyman business, and I will be sharing this story on my feeds, and in person! I cannot get my chat logs to paste, its good for them I cannot! DO NOT SUBSCRIBE WITH COX COMMUNICATIONS! They tell you one thing, and then do another. AND, if the conversations are recorded, why can they not find the conversation I am referencing? BS!