Forum Discussion

fumanstan
New Contributor II
10 years ago

Splitter for DVR and Cable Modem

I'm currently in an apartment where the DVR/Receiver (a 8742HDC)  is in the living room and the cable modem is in one of the bedrooms where my computer is.  I wanted to move the modem to the living room where it would be more centrally located for my wireless router to get better coverage in the apartment, but when I use a coax splitter the TV had trouble loading the guide and various channels.  When I connected it back directly to the wall, it worked fine.  

The splitter I had picked up was just a cheap monoprice one from Amazon here - http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-110013-PREMIUM-Splitter-Antenna/dp/B00DIGAB70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407304069&sr=8-1&keywords=monoprice+coax+splitter

Do I need to get a filter or a splitter that supports specific frequencies for this to work properly?  If so, any recommendations or options?  Thanks!  

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Your cheap splitter is for analog signals.  Anything rated under 1 GHz will have problems passing digital signals.

Look for a bi-directional splitter with a frequency range of at least 1 GHz.  Don't go too high with the frequency range because 2-3 GHz is for satellite signals.

fumanstan
    New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply!  How can you tell if it's a digital or analog splitter?  I don't see much of a distinction in the item descriptions for other splitters on Amazon, although a few mention digital HD.  

Would something like this probably work?  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00108UNEY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=12PCAV69AUQFJ&coliid=IM1186Y24JZR3

Appreciate the response.  

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Splitter aren't rated for analog and digital.  The frequency range indicates if the splitter will properly handle digital signals.  Digital signals for HDTV extend to 800 MHz, so get a splitter rated to at least 1 GHz.  (1000 MHz = 1 GHz)

Get a splitter with only the number of outputs you need.  For example, if you only need 1 output for your set-top box and 1 for your modem, get a splitter with 2-3 outputs...not 8 outputs.  Fewer outputs can lessen the db loss and improve your picture.

Look for quality splitters from reputable companies, such as Accell...Cables-To-Go...Mediabridge...Monoprice.  Quality splitters are better constructed and sealed to keep out moisture and dust.

While you're upgrading, check your coaxial cables.  You should have RG-6 cables.  If you need to purchase RG-6 cables, prevent attenuation (signal weakening) by only getting the length you'll need.  For example, if you only need 6 feet of cable, don't install 25 feet and keep it coiled behind your entertainment center.  The more cable a signal has to run through, the weaker it gets.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Bruce said:

Your cheap splitter is an analog splitter.  Anything rated under 1 GHz will have problems passing digital signals.

Look for a bi-directional splitter with a frequency range of at least 1 GHz.  Don't go too high with the frequency range because 2-3 GHz is for satellite signals.

According to Amazon, that splitter is rated to 2.4 GHz (2400 MHz.)

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

fumanstan said:

Thanks for the reply!  How can you tell if it's a digital or analog splitter?  I don't see much of a distinction in the item descriptions for other splitters on Amazon, although a few mention digital HD.  

Would something like this probably work?  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00108UNEY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=12PCAV69AUQFJ&coliid=IM1186Y24JZR3

Appreciate the response.  

No such thing as a "digital" or "analog" splitter. What are your DVR signal strengths and S/N ratios with and without the splitter?

fumanstan
    New Contributor II

Thanks, the initial mention of my splitter being for analog signals confused me.  As mentioned, the monoprice splitter I have mentions 2400mhz, so I assumed it would be fine. 

I'll try and grab signal levels.  

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I didn't check the specs on Amazon.  I read "cheap" and assumed (I know) it was built for a VCR.  2.4 GHz would properly handle digital signals.  However, splitters do go bad...even cheap ones from the factory.  Send it back for a replacement.