Forum Discussion

twomutts
New Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

FCC rule re: Cable modem w/ Phone

Just purchased a Netgear CM500V modem to replace the 5 yr old Cisco modem we had.

During call to activate the modem, I was told that I couldn’t hook up the telephone because it did not come from Cox.  Asking further questions, I was told that “the long and short of it” is that there is some FCC rule that says phone service must come from/through provider equipment.

What is the rule number?  What identifying number or document title would I find this rule in?  Searching the FCC website resulted in zip/zilch/nada.

Thanks

• @Twomutts, You will need an emta modem from us in order to use our phone service. Please let us know if you have any issues with the service after setting up the phone modem. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • @Twomutts, You will need an emta modem from us in order to use our phone service. Please let us know if you have any issues with the service after setting up the phone modem. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      twomutts
      New Contributor

Thanks, Allan.  Is there any way to include this piece of information in the training materials for the online/call center support staff?  I think a lot of confusion and aggravation could have been avoided if I had known that at the start.

Have a nice Labor Day Weekend.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Twomutts

Most welcome, That information should be part of the representative training. Please let us know if you have further concerns.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator
    twomutts
    New Contributor

Addendum: I was told to get a coax cable splitter to run the phone from the old Cisco modem...

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

What is this "old Cisco modem?"  Was it also your telephone modem?  If so and it's 5-years-old, I believe its technology is outdated.  Cox recently "upgraded" to VoIP and older modems won't support this technology (packet-switching).

twomutts
        New Contributor

Dpq3212.  Started getting service interruptions occasionally in the evenings, I.e.- high traffic times.

Andrew_Wees
    Contributor III

why did you buy a modem when cox provides them free when you have cox phone service?

twomutts
      New Contributor

I was attempting to replace like for like; coax cable in, Ethernet out to router, phone jack for the phones.

I think a better question may be why the tech that we were discussing our internet connectivity issues with didn’t tell us about this “restriction” AFTER he said we should replace the modem (due to age/possible component failure).

The internet modems were definitely not free.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        didn’t tell us about this “restriction”

Because you were "discussing our Internet connectivity issues" and not telephone issues.  Did you tell the tech your modem also provides telephone service?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't believe there is an FCC rule limiting service to only provider equipment.  However, I do believe there is a rule for any mandatory equipment must be freely provided or loaned.  Cox can lock down phone service to their issued equipment...but Cox must freely loan it to you.

If you subscribe to phone service, Cox will provide the telephone modem, aka eMTA.

twomutts
      New Contributor

Sooo, this is a Cox business practice.  I actually don’t have a problem with that.  I just wish the online help line staff could have told me that at the beginning.

Andrew_Wees
        Contributor III

not business practice as much as so they can control the hardware on the cox network

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Just an observation...

How does this post get over 20,000 views" when it's only 11 hours old?  Some posts take 3 years to get that many views.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The Cisco DPQ3212 is an eMTA and supports Cox Voice (VoIP & packet-switching).  Meaning, your demarc supports VoIP.  That's a good thing.

I think almost all complaints in the Internet Forum are service interruptions, timeouts and latency.

A lot of customers aren't aware of their business practices.  It's bit me and was without phone service for a month.

Go to a Solution Store to get your telephone modem.

You are special.