Forum Discussion

MasterMyDomain
Contributor
16 days ago

What is the proper sequence of the filter and splitters?

On the last visit from a tech he connected the incoming cable to a 2-way splitter with one output going to the cable/phone modem and the other to a filter connected to a 3-way splitter.  One output on the 3-way goes to the DVR and the other two to mini-boxes.  Why wouldn’t the filter be the first device connected to the incoming coax?  Do filters cause problems for modems?

The modem is an old Arris Docsis 3.1 model TM3402A.
The filter is an Antronix MoCA Input Blocking Filter GLF-1002
The splitters are Antronix CMC2000HC-A Series 

DannyS
    15 days ago

Sorry for any confusion.  I read your initial message incorrectly and was thinking of a filter we used in the past.  These newer Moca filters are supposed to be inserted on the main line to the home.  So, it would be on the first splitter prior to getting to your modems line.  Field techs will still normally place a two-way splitter on the main line still to keep your data with a cleaner path for the return.  Placing the video outlets behind it.  

• Being that the line for your services appears to be inside the home from a single outlet.  We place what is referred to as a MOCA filter to eliminate return noise and to allow the cable boxes in the home to operate properly.  This filter if placed inline before the modem will create connection concerns.  So, the first splitter is a two-day to supply a direct line to the modem and filter placed on the other output leg on that splitter to catch all video equipment in behind it.  If each device in the home had its own outlet.  This filter would be installed outside where it would not be seen.   

MasterMyDomain
      Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  The reason I’m confused is that the spec sheet for the GLF-1002 filter says “When installed AT THE INPUT to a premise location…” and in an online video the leader of the MoCA alliance industry group says to install it as the first device on the incoming cable with the host of that broadcast then showing his coax coming into his house from outside, going into the filter, and then into the first 2-way splitter from which coax goes to his cable modem and TV.  Here’s a link to the point in the video that shows the filter before the splitter.

https://youtu.be/I9Vro0d38pA?t=483

If each device in the home had its own outlet and the filter is installed outside, wouldn’t the modem then be after the filter?  Or would the splitters or some kind of alternate device also be installed outside?  Mine are in the attic.  

My modem has an ethernet cable going out to a router and a green wire coming out that goes to the telephone jack.  Since the filter eliminates return noise is there some kind of signal the modem needs to send back into the attic through the coax in order for the modem to function properly?  It just seems wacky to this old technophobe that it would work that way. 

DannyS

Sorry for any confusion.  I read your initial message incorrectly and was thinking of a filter we used in the past.  These newer Moca filters are supposed to be inserted on the main line to the home.  So, it would be on the first splitter prior to getting to your modems line.  Field techs will still normally place a two-way splitter on the main line still to keep your data with a cleaner path for the return.  Placing the video outlets behind it.