Forum Discussion

MH813
New Contributor
2 years ago

DVR/Menu/etc slow or unresponsive

I've had this problem for *years*, & I've just had enough of it. I've swapped DVRs, bounced the DVR, call your support 9many times, & it yet continues almost daily. It often takes a long time (seconds to minutes) before the DVR responds to commands via remote (play, guide, pause, etc, etc). The video playback is always fine (recordings or live TV). it's just that often (sometimes all day) the darn video (or menu or DVR, etc) doesn't pause, doesn't play, doesn't do anything after pressing ANY remote buttons. No, it's not a problem w/ the remote, & I can prove it. Sometimes, I'll get the error message "There appears to be a problem... Please tighten your cable connection, etc." Sometimes, the DVR just ignores when I press play, stop, DVR, whatever I press.

The only reason why I'm using this forum, is because Cox support does not track or remember chronic problems. I want a documented record of this. Every time a problem recurs, I have to go through the exact same steps every time: Call support, reboot the DVR, dispatch a tech, & hope the problem happens while he's at my house. Repeat ad nauseam. The is the reason why I cancelled your Internet services after decades of use: chronic, recurring problems, that never get fully resolved. Hopefully, I won't have to cancel your TV service, too.

10 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Just curious, but who did you switch to for internet? I cut the cord a long time back and use Google TV adapters. I found my bandwidth went up a big chunk when I did that. Hopefully your ISP has unlimited bandwidth.

As for your problem, it might help to look at the box diagnostic if your somewhat tech knowledgeable. See my post here about how to use the diagnostic menu. 

1. Hold down Exit button for 5 seconds
    2. Press the down arrow twice
    3. Push the number 2 button
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

What you have described is a bad cable connection to the cable box. Verify connections, replace any splitters or barrel connectors and the cable from the box to the wall should be swapped as well. Those are steps YOU can take before having a tech come out. 

Also, ensure your NEW internet provider is using a separate connections and is not using the SAME cable network into your home that the Cox Cable is using. EVEN if the put on a "Frequency splitter". It causes huge issues. 

MH813
      New Contributor

We've paid the extra fee to include inside wiring for decades, shouldn't replacing splitters, if any, or cables be the responsibility of the dispatched repairman? There are no cables or splitters inside my home, so there's nothing inside my home I could change. The cable to my dvr goes straight outside. Also, my internet is completely isolated for Cox's dvr network. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Absolutely, if you are paying for Cox Complete Care, then by all means have a tech come out to your home and take care of business. 

• I’m having the same issue, just started about a month ago. Brand new batteries in remote, rebooted Contour box… 

DavidA2
      Former Moderator
      Hi CuriousJ,

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Please feel free to email us at Cox.help@cox.com with your information and a link to this thread. We would be happy to look into that with you.

David
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        MH813
        New Contributor

I am emailing Cox.help@cox.com today to dispatch a tech on site. If/when the problem recurs again after the tech's visit, I will update this forum.