Forum Discussion

auntcgdot
New Contributor
2 years ago

Incoming calls do not connect when I hit the talk/answer button

Incoming calls do not connect and continue to ring for the caller when I hit the talk/answer button on my home phone. It does stop the ringing on my system, but no connection is made. I have called from my cell phone and can still hear the ringing as though the call was never answered. 

I can make outgoing calls with no problem

20 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

If you have nearby family with Cox phone service, take your phone to their house and test it.  You may need a new phone.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cordless phone?  Low battery?  It appears the handset isn't sending an off-hook signal to its base unit.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

If the phone with the issue is a handset, verify the battery is charged as Bruce suggested.  If that doesn't fix your iissue and you test with nearby family, you'll need to take your base unit. 

auntcgdot
      New Contributor

It is a new phone set as the previous one had the same issue.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Since it happens with different phones, it's probably not a faulty phone or a low battery.  Contact Cox at cox.help@cox.com for help.

Include your name, the ful service address and a link to this Forum thread.  Also, include the brand and model of your phone. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Look in its Instructions to reset and then re-register the problematic handset.

auntcgdot
      New Contributor

Ok, reset didn't work. What do you mean "re-register"?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

To reset means to return the handset to its factory default settings.  Re-register means to instruct the handset to which frequency to communicate with the base unit.

Provide its make/model and I'll try to find a User Guide.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Also, ensure your phone or wall jack is connected to the Tel-1 port of the telephone modem.

You could also log into your Cox account to reset your telephone modem.  Not reboot, reset

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

If she does everything we've suggested, one of them should get her fixed up.  But, will she post back to let us know?  Inquiring minds want to know.

If she doesn't connect to the right port, testing at a niece's or nephew's house won't work either, but the niece or nephew could help her..

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Too bad this wasn't a forum on furnaces so we could give her the runaround to make antifreeze.  Get it?  Antifreeze?  Do you?

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

You may also try power cycling your Telephone modem. remove the power cord, and if it's one with a battery inside like mine, pull the battery as well, wait for a minute, and reconnect.