Forum Discussion

dussman
New Contributor
10 years ago

Slow/Fluctuating Internet Speeds

I have premier internet service, and I was getting between 25 and 40 Mbps on my iPhone when testing on speedtest.net. A few days ago, I noticed that the download speed had dropped to single digits. All along, the upload remains in the 10-15 range. Ping time is generally 40-60 ms. I had my modem signal reset via the automated service, and that didn't help. I called and got assistance from a tech, and he was not able to help. Another tech reset the modem, and the hardwired speed jumped up to 60-70 Mbps download speed. The wireless speed was anywhere from 24-34 Mbps. An hour later, it was back down to 6-7 Mbps down wirelessly. A tech came to my house today. He tested the coax where it connects to my modem. Signal strength was 8.7, which he said was good. He tested multiple times, and the signal was good. He tested wirelessly and directly from the modem, and the speeds would fluctuate tremendously. He tried to convince me that the router (Cisco E2500) needed to be more compatible with the modem (Motorola surfboard sb6121), but it seems weird that everything fluctuates so much. Can you help me?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    EdwardH
    Valued Contributor
    While the router and modem would be compatible a 802.11N router will be less likely to hold wireless speeds against a 802.11ac router if speed wirelessly is your concern. Wireless can be random in its results for a number of factors and things that cause interference, newer standards for it tend to fair better in those situations as well as higher frequencies for those devices using 5 Ghz instead of the 2.4 Ghz band.

As far as the signal 8.7 db on the downstream within normal levels for the downstream for he modem, so if the wired connections are showing more stable speeds its likely a issue between the router and devices.
    ---
    atinkoff
    New Contributor

I am experiencing the same thing in San Diego County with Premier Service on both wired and wireless connections to my Cisco DPC825 router and it's very frustrating. The speed fluctuates from very slow to bursts of what I am paying for. Hopefully this is something COX can fix on their side. Dussman is not your only customer experiencing this!

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @atinkoff

Looking from this end all appears to be well up to the modem/router itself.  Can you try testing with a wired connection and see if there is any difference in the results?