Forum Discussion

SoManyProblems9
New Contributor II
10 months ago
Solved

Cox Increases Fiber-Powered Internet Speeds for Most Customers

I saw this post on the Cox website and was excited: https://newsroom.cox.com/Cox-Increases-Fiber-powered-Internet-Speeds

I checked my service speed on cox.com and it looks like I was upgraded to 500Mbps (From 250Mbps). When I performed the speed test on my Cox Panoramic Wifi modem through the "Cox Wifi" app it said my plan speed was still 250Mbps. It looks like they are still having problems rolling out this service. I reset my modem multiple times speaking with a Cox representative and unplugged all cables from the modem to get it to restart. Still no luck. Is anyone else having issues getting the Service speed of 500Mbps to match the plan speed of 250Mbps in the Cox Wifi App?

Whenever I perform a speedtest I am able to get 300Mbps of 250Mbps, but nowhere near the 500Mbps service speed. I even disconnected all devices in my household and still received between 299Mbps-300Mbps on all 8 of my tests through the Cox Wifi App.

SoManyProblems9
    10 months ago

In Summary: If your Plan Speed In the Cox Wifi App when running a speedtest does not match your service speed on your Cox.com account. You will most likely need to have Cox Support "Fully" Reprovision your Modem.

Fixed and working! Thanks Brian from Cox Support!

Below From Cox Agent:

I apologize for any interruption if you were actively online, but this should be working now. I was able to fully reprovision the modem and now it is showing the proper quality of service for 500 Mbps download.

This link is proof of working system at correct speed from Cox Wifi App Speedtest: Link

33 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What model modem do you have? Even though a DOCSIS 3.1 modem isn't required it helps with congestion. Also, what are you getting for upload speed? I hear that was increased to 50Mbps in some area but there hardware/signal requirements. 

SoManyProblems9
      New Contributor II

Technicolor CGM4140COM

It is DOCSIS 3.1 and rated for upto 1Gbps according to COX. I haven't seen any improvement on Upload speed, still at 10Mbps.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

The two possibilities I can think of is either the upgrade isn't live in your area or there is heavy congestion. Do you live in a heavily populated area like a apartment? Do you see two downstream OFDM channels? To check your signal levels go to 192.168.0.1 in a browser > username:admin password:password > Connection > Cox Network. Under your downstream channels there should be 2 separate OFDM channels.

• Wow! my Download speed was 15.77. I reset my model and now get a blazing 49.67! I have the plan with 250Mbps. Currently researching alternatives.

Becky
      Hi CuriousJ, I understand your frustration with your current speeds and the impact slow speeds have on your devices and the members of your household. I can help! Would you allow us an opportunity to resolve these issue before you decide to switch providers? Please send an email to Cox.Help@cox.com so we can further troubleshoot. I want you to get the speeds of the internet tier to which you subscribe! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        SoManyProblems9
        New Contributor II

Please take this conversation to it's own post. This does not belong in this forum thread as it is a completely different issue that is not related.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Are you testing over Ethernet? Testing on WiFi is inaccurate!

CuriousJ
        Contributor

Good to know! How do I test over Ethernet? My laptop doesn’t have an Ethernet port. 

orbops
    New Contributor

I also am only getting 300Mbps down and 250Mbps up. I was originally getting around 250Mbps down and 150Mbps up. Personally I think it's more promotional, since they have so many qualifiers of why you may not be getting the desired speed.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I think the speed increase was mostly for cable(HFC) customers. If your getting 250Mbps up, you must be fiber. Did you get notification of your speeds changing?

orbops
        New Contributor

Yes, I received an email from Cox a few days ago. We are on fiber.