Forum Discussion

Roncor
New Contributor II
11 months ago
Solved

Packet loss during peak hours, North Phoenix

The last few weeks I have been experiencing 8%-12% packet loss during peak hours 8pm-12am every day of the week. During other hours it is significantly lower at 0%-1% packet loss. They just sent a tech out for the second time at the latest possible time I could schedule (3pm) and there was no packet loss reported. I had the same issue a few months ago and they replaced everything in the pedestal and gave me a new modem and the issue persisted. They said they were going to escalate to their infrastructure? group and the issue resolved a week or 2 later. Now 3-4 months have passed and the issue is back. I am experiencing the issue both over wifi and wired over multiple devices. 

I have been using Ping in command prompt as well as packetlosstest.

5/31/23 @ 10:30 PM

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4007:815::200e:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 91, Lost = 9 (9% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 25ms

6/01/2023 @ 10:52 PM

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4007:819::200e:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 95, Lost = 5 (5% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 25ms

• Try Pingplotter to graph packet loss over time and to trace where it is occurring. To share the data, go to File > Share > Create Share page and post the link. Also force a IPv4 trace by entering "ipv4:" before the server name in the target field or use a IPv4 target like 8.8.8.8.

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Try Pingplotter to graph packet loss over time and to trace where it is occurring. To share the data, go to File > Share > Create Share page and post the link. Also force a IPv4 trace by entering "ipv4:" before the server name in the target field or use a IPv4 target like 8.8.8.8.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Well it is to document the problem, so as long as you want. It looks to be happening pretty regularly almost as if it isn't random. It also seems to be occurring on the second hop, which is between your modem and Cox(CMTS). That would fit the Cox infrastructure excuse.

Could you post/check your signal levels? Assuming you have a Panoramic gateway, you can find them at 192.168.0.1 > user:admin password:password(unless changed) > Connection > Cox Network. Just need the downstream and upstream levels along with SNR and uncorrectables. Downstream should be between +5 and -5 with SNR above 35. Upstream should be under 50.