Forum Discussion

mgifford1989
New Contributor
3 years ago

Packet Loss, Dropped Connection, Over a year

I've had constant packet loss, latency issues, full on dropped connections for over a year now with Cox. I've wasted time on the phone for hours changing routers, modems, having technicians come out only to tell me that my internet is perfectly fine.

I cant video call (for work), game, or even browse the internet. I'm hoping someone can help.

https://imgur.com/a/jRrqJfm

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bkind2others
    New Contributor II

Do you have it directly connected, or are you using wifi, and it also depends on what internet package you have, if it is none of that then you could have some bad cables on the outside of your home, my Stepfathers was doing that and we found out that it was at the pole, the cable was exposed and wet. Good luck.

mgifford1989
      New Contributor

I have used multiple modems and routers. Hardwired and Wifi. Nothing changes. Have had multiple tech's say all the cables look fine.

• Are you able to run that diagnostic to a different server? Try doing the same with 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for a stretch just to be sure it's not just that orange county server.

mgifford1989
      New Contributor

Any advice on how to do that? This is from the Cox provided software

CrystalS
        Former Moderator
        Hello @Mgifford1989,

You are always able to run a traceroute using those IP addresses. They are Google IP addresses.

Here is how to run a traceroute for a PC:
        1) Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
        2) Enter cmd and press Enter to open a Command Prompt.
        3) Enter tracert, a space, then the IP address or web address for the destination site (for example- tracert 1.1.1.1 or tracert 8.8.8.8).
        4) Press Enter.

Here is how to run a traceroute for a Mac:
        1) Launch Network Utility.
        2) Click Traceroute.
        3) Enter the domain name for which you want to perform a traceroute. (Instead of a domain you would enter-1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8)
        4) Click Trace.
        5) Select the results, and then right-click and select Copy or press Command + C to copy the test.
        I hope this helps. If you need more assistance. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
        Cox Support Forum Moderator