Forum Discussion

boon2537
New Contributor
3 years ago

Keep getting connected to a terrible at capacity node. Please show that Cox is doing something before I file a FCC report.

For the past couple months, my internet in the downtown New Orleans area has been terrible. A full day outage every couple weeks and days of low speed/insane ping jitters. I'm working from home and have to remote in for work, and the internet has been so unreliable that I have to sometimes use my mobile data hotspot for work. Playing online videogames is impossible with insane ping jitters.

I've called customer service but nothing got resolved. No, you cannot use the previous hurricane as an excuse. My internet was fine for couple months after the hurricane. You probably did some node rerouting and my area kept getting the bottom end of the stick. I'm posting my complain here so we have something in writing for the public to see and I'm hoping to get a resolution before I make a FCC report. What's the node capacity in my area? Does Cox have a plan to do a node split? Or I'm wrong and it's a different issue? Am I getting credit/discount for a subpar service? I've been recording ping data with PingPlotter, here's one for example: https://imgur.com/a/1SpLR5H

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing your response.

5 Replies

sblaisew
    New Contributor

I feel your pain... Im on Outskirts of NOLA area in St Rose... Upload issues are horrendous I got emails to send and virtual meetings to attend in the early morning hours and sometimes at night... the 0.02 Mbps to 0.04 Mbps upload speeds that seem to follow a pattern... ** upload from 4 to 8 am 0.02, gets better around 8 Am 1.2 Mbps, byt 10AM up in the 15 Mbps range....by noon works as intended (30 Mbps) until about 4 to 6 PM, then its back to **... 0.02..

They need more Fiber alternatives... I've been having to use Cellular Hotspot devices for any actual usable service.

Hopefully Tmobile starts offering their home internet service here soon.

Tired of calling or using the chat option to try and report an outage... everything is always fine they say... lets reboot the modem they say... again.. lets line up a tech... if its a good tech he puts in a maintenance ticket for the node thats oversubbed or has a broken amp... if its a bad tech you might get a new drop line... (ive had multiple...)

Only issue ive ever had with cox has been upload issues... never in the home...

Ill be running pingplotter and tracert and filing a complaint as well....

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Sblaisew
      I completely understand the frustration of having slow upload speeds. Currently, there is an outage in your service area. Because you are having upload issues I would definitely recommend scheduling a technician once the outage in your area clears.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        sblaisew
        New Contributor

..... its not slow upload speeds.. its non existent upload speeds... Dial up Upload speeds from back in the day were better..at least you were guaranteed ~25-56k.. when you get down to 0.01 Mbps.... you cant send a fax over that... 9600k was the bare min for that...Cox does realize how the internet works i would hope... communication on both ends needs to occur, send and receive.. 0.001 ... there is no send... and its an every day to every other day occurrence...  may have had 2 solid days with full service this month...

I'm aware that currently there is an issue... but 99% of the time there's no issue listed... and you go through the basic tehch support bs.. where they pitch "if you go to complete care you get better tech support"... I'm at IT supervisor for an oil company... if i told my clients that im sorry what you paid for isn't working but if you pay a bit more we may be able to figure it out better.... seriously?.

Im sure after the "current issue is resolved" i'll probably have good service for a day... if its a full day, last time 5 hours then dead after the outage was all cleared...

I have a "tech" lined up.. again... if he wants to replace the drop Im cancelling service.....

Precglide
      New Contributor

Same thing happening in Metairie. It's almost always worse at night, even in the middle of the night.

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        @Precglide
        I know that having unresolved internet issues at night is frustrating. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name/full address so we can schedule a technician for you.

Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator