Forum Discussion

OCSD
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Hi there Cox internet forums, it's me again.

Have experienced a strange turn of events over the last few days and wondering if anyone else has seen something similar. Bit of backstory - I've been having the same packet loss and jitter issues supposedly due to node over utilization as many others here. As of a week ago I was seeing an average of 30-50% packet loss from 4am - 2am. Executive Escalations team evidently got sick of me pestering them and reassigned my 'case' to someone very proficient in legalese who basically told me that nothing would be done until the planned node split in November and that I should be grateful to be getting any service at all (great company).

Fast forward to three days ago and our neighborhood loses power (Southern California, it happens). 20 minutes later when everything comes back up I noticed something strange. I could stream media, connect to web calls, and play games again. Packet loss <.1% and 8ms jitter. i.e the internet service that I pay for.

Here we are three days later and my service is still running at 100%. I figured there would be a cataclysmic dropoff once everyone got connected and utilization went back up but that doesn't seem to be the case. I called my newly appointed Cox rep and was once again told that I was lucky and Cox would not be investigating why my issues resolved themselves prior to the November node split. He almost seemed disappointed that I had regained service but that's getting off topic.

What gives?? Were the neighborhood issues not due to utilization? Is this a software/hardware issue on Cox's end that they had only been pretending to diagnose this whole time? Do I just need to trip a few breakers to fix my internet if it gets back into a bad state in the future?

Any comments or replies appreciated. I'd like to know how to keep my service running

3 Replies

• Perhaps there was something drawing power which added noise to the line(s). When the power went out, whatever it is lost power and shut down. When the power came back up, whatever it is didn't power up; so no noise on the line. Perhaps whatever it is needs to be manually turned on. Because whatever it is remains off, the noise on the line is gone. 

OCSD
      New Contributor II

Been thinking something similar but we're going on 4 days of good service now. Unless there's a perfect storm of vacations in the neighboring houses I think the issue is with the CMTS

OCSD
        New Contributor II

Also should note that the 3-4 people on my block that I've spoken with had been seeing the exact same issues and saw the same resolution after the power outage. Overall issue is almost certainly with CMTS rejecting requests and not with line noise