Forum Discussion

Jake3
New Contributor
5 years ago

Gigablast Internet

Hi everyone, changed to Gigablast internet probably 2 weeks ago. We had no where near 1 GBP/s but it was manageable with 200-300 MBP/s. I was wondering if this is normal to have really low download and upload speed. I use a hardwired connection into my PC but does not seem to make a difference. When testing internet using the Cox tool. I get 98 download and 38 upload. Need help with solutions to this problem. 

10 Replies

Perihelion
    New Contributor

Gigablast is a joke!

First time I installed the router I had a similar situation as you. Had to contact customer support for them to fiddle with things on their end but...
    They call it gigablast but they say their top speed is 940Mbps.
    Before the quarantine, the top speed I would ever get would be around 700Mpbs and Cox would always give some BS response for that; always blaming connected devices. Even with my laptop wired directly to the modem and no other devices on the network, it was never more than 700.
    Now during quarantine, it doesn't go beyond 300 Mbps yet I haven't seen my bill lowered for not giving me the speed I'm paying for!

They are blaming high demand; even reps saying so on the news and recommending not to download system updates "during peak hours" WHAT A JOKE!
    Uh... why market blazing fast speed if your network isn't going to be able to handle it?

They've just gotten worse and worse.

Joya770
    New Contributor

I've never been active on this forum, but as of recent, it seems a lot of people are having issues with their speeds being much lower than intended. I did a little digging through other posts and it seems with all the people being home due to this pandemic, there's a node (network) congestion. I'm not saying this is YOUR specific reason for getting lower speeds, but it certainly could be. I'm personally paying for 300 download/30 upload and I've always exceeded those speeds but as of recently, I'm barely getting over 200 download, and lots of lag for online gaming.

Don't waste your time calling for a tech unless you ABSOLUTELY think it's necessary because I can tell you personally that having someone come and check our wiring and some other ** outside the house, literally did NOTHING! My guess, it's 100% on COX to fix this. Good luck.

Glenee
    Contributor II

Hi Jake, The information that Joya 770 gave you is right on. I have been keeping tabs on my internet service for about 3-weeks now and this is what I see. 5am -about 12:00pm the speeds are running about 400-500 up and 34-35 down. Then after 12:00pm they start gradually going down to as low as 80 down and .9 up. It's about the same everyday with a little change in times on weekends. Cox just can't handle the load being handed to it at peak hours.

I have been keeping a data book on this with test for the last 3 weeks.

After this covid19 stuff is over should return to normal.

Glen

Glenee
      Contributor II

These are wireless numbers. When I go straight by wire from the modem to Mac they are higher but still the same amount of drop at those times.

APWOCALA
      New Contributor

I am in the telecommunication industry, but not directly related to any ISP (Service providers such as COX). When the COVID 19 outbreak took place and everyone began working at home, the ISPs under the FCCs recommendation lifted any data caps. This wasn't mandatory and happened in a trend. One company lifted and others followed to not look unsympathetic. What took place after was not expected. The reasons for all the data caps to be in place from the start were highlighted as predominantly unnessicary. The millions of dollars made by data charges were simply not justified. Shockingly, performance started to erode once this finding became a mainstream topic. Questions like "How could telecommunication companies justify putting the caps and charges back in place if services were not impeded without them?" started to surface. Feel free to look into this. It is a sad read I get it, but this is one of the most unregulated industries. With only 5%-sh of the population being able to even understand exactly how all of this works (and those 5% most likely involved in the industry), who is going to stand up and fact check these companies? and what are you going to even do when you have proven them wrong? go without internet? 

Remember, your contract says SPEEDS UP TO ****

Glenee
        Contributor II

Yes and after this is over I look to see the government get involved with making the  ISP(Internet Service Providers) into a classification of a Utility and regulated so. The reason I say this is because of the importance they are willing to put on the internet. Such as Schools, Universities and Colleges, Rural, and General Business.The almost extinct Land phone line was regulated.

I could be wrong. 

Theory90
    New Contributor

im getting 654 down and 32 up on gigablast and before this lockdown i was getting 840-900....

rip

Perihelion
    New Contributor

Gigablast is a joke!

First time I installed the router I had a similar situation as you. Had to contact customer support for them to fiddle with things on their end but...
    They call it gigablast but they say their top speed is 940Mbps.
    Before the quarantine, the top speed I would ever get would be around 700Mpbs and Cox would always give some BS response for that; always blaming connected devices. Even with my laptop wired directly to the modem and no other devices on the network, it was never more than 700.
    Now during quarantine, it doesn't go beyond 300 Mbps yet I haven't seen my bill lowered for not giving me the speed I'm paying for!

They are blaming high demandeven reps saying so on the news and recommending not to download system updates "during peak hours" WHAT A JOKE!
    Uh... why market blazing fast speed if your network isn't going to be able to handle it?

They've just gotten worse and worse.

• Hi Jake3. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • I've had "Gigablast" (940Mbps/35Mbps), Internet service for months and rarely get above 600Mbps down and 5-6Mbps Upload. I've replaced cables, updated LAN drivers, factory reset my modem and router, even got a Cox modem. No change in speeds.

Connection: Wall outlet > RG59 > Netgear CM1000 modem > Cat6 > TP-Link X3000 Router > Cat6 > Windows desktop.

Technician came out last Saturday and hooked his gadget to the post at the end of my driveway and said it wasn't provisioned correctly. Said he did that, showed my his gadget which showed 940/35 speed. Tested, got about 800/32. Hooray! Then 2 days later back to the same speeds before. Last night my speed was about 280/.88!!!! So the same tech comes out today. Disconnected the cable from the post, tests, reconnects, asks me to try again. 598/33! Much better. He leaves. 10 hours later, back to 548/10. Sigh. I don't know what to do.

*All tests are done from Cox speed test, Google's speed test, and the speed test built into my routers UI. No other devices, wired or wireless, were connected to network at time of test.