Forum Discussion

Typen
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cox Routing Seems Messed Up

Certain websites and services won't load. Youtube, Facebook, Netflix load fine. I try to get onto Discord (discordapp.com and the desktop program), Amazon, and Hulu and the websites never connect. I can ping them, I can connect to them on my cellphone when I'm on data, but on Cox internet? Nada. This applies to wireless/wifi AND an ethernet wired connection. This started yesterday, 1/24/2020, at around 7pm EST and it is very annoying.

27 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Soulprison
    New Contributor III

I too, am having the same issues.  Zip code is 23606 (Newport News).  I had to use my phone today to pay all my bills because half the websites won't load. 

Discord.com

Marcus.com

Americanexpress.com

bestbuy.com

amazon.com

instagram.com

facebook.com

battle.net

mmo-champion.com

dom.com (dominion energy)

paypal.com

amazon.com

dominos.com

I'm sure there are more but this is what I can remember off top of my head. 

Zurq
    Contributor II

it's cox, they are going to say different. but it is def cox.

micahdrawings
    New Contributor II

I'm having the *exact* same issue, from roughly the exact same time as you (1/24/2020, started roughly 7pm EST). I cannot connect to Discord (website, desktop app, or mobile app) on any device. Hulu doesn't connect, and a number of other sites I use regularly are suddenly unable to connect. Occasionally I get a "your internet access has been blocked" error but that usually gets replaced with "site can't be reached" errors upon refresh or restart. I can confirm all of these sites are safe to visit, and they all work just fine on my 4G network. However, I can't access them at all via wireless or ethernet wired connections while on my home network.

I've also noticed that some sites that *do* load seem to be loading very slowly despite my speed test seeming fine. Netflix, in particular, is taking a very long time to load show thumbnails, and the video streams often start out grainy or pixellated.

This is extremely frustrating for me for two reasons. First, I upgraded to Gigablast service just this past Wednesday (1/25) so I was hoping for a much smoother internet experience overall. Second, I work from home, and a number of sites I need access to regularly are suddenly inaccessible. It's really important for me to have these sites available, but it's been close to 24 hours since the issue arose. Something is definitely up on Cox's end.

RichVA
    New Contributor

Having the same issue.  FB and Instagram come up but pictures won't load.  Pages that do come up seem very slow to load.  Needed to make a reservation on aa.com but couldn't get there via wifi - had to switch to phone data plan.  Frustrating . . .

Dantae120
    New Contributor

Same issue, i have talked to two customer service people on the phone and I am messaging support chat right now. 

micahdrawings
      New Contributor II

Hopefully, they can fix it. I talked to tech support and they had me do the usual router rebooting stuff, then scheduled a tech visit.

Dantae120
        New Contributor

it is clearly on their end.  I think the cox DNS server is preventing access to discordapp.com. unfortunately you cannot change your default DNS on cox routers, but if you have your own router i would suggest doing that. 

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hey all,

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, and this is currently being escalated. When we receive additional information, we will gladly follow up in the Cox Forum thread. If you have any further information that you would like to add, please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Karenr1956
      New Contributor

Can we please get an update on this.  I haven't been able to access any of my financial sites since Friday morning the 24th.  Four days without essential access to websites is unforgiveable.

micahdrawings
        New Contributor II

Seconded. It would be really welcome if Cox could communicate with us what they're doing to fix it, and if there's an ETR. Even if there's no new information of note, it would be nice if they'd let us know what's happening without us having to harangue Support for answers.

Zurq
      Contributor II

it also affects games like Fortnite, and anything AWS related

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @Zurq, are having issues accessing the Fortnite server or any other AWS server at this time? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    stuco
    New Contributor III

I'm experiencing the identical problems since Friday evening in the 23462 zip code and contacted Cox support 3 times. Of course Cox said all 3 times there are no issues on their end and forced me to reboot modem, router and plug directly into the modem all with the same results of not working. Of course it's not on my end and is an issue with Cox.

Yesterday, 2 hours after the 2nd call to Cox support, there's a notice on Cox,com saying there are outages in my area with an estimated repair time of 7:06pm. Not 7pm but 7:06! Now why didn't support know that??? Around 5pm I receive a text from Cox saying your outage has been fixed. Still couldn't access the same websites so shut down and went out to dinner. Came back around 9pm, rebooted modem and router several times and a few of the websites could be accessed but others could not.

This morning call Cox again trying to get to Tier 2 support and the rep refuses making me do all the resets again knowing it's on Cox's end. If you want to know why people hate Cox it's this very reason. Other times I've been told the issue is on my end only to finally get to Tier 2 support after many attempts and the first thing Tier 2 says is "yes we are aware of the issue". If Tier 2 knows then why don't the reps on the front line know. It's beyond frustrating. 

I want to know when this issue will be fixed and certainly Cox should credit my bill for all this frustration and not being able to access the internet websites of my choice!

Websites won't load as of now saying "The server at www.xyz is taking too long to respond. The connection has times out."

bestbuy.com

cvs.com

dockers.com

americanairlines.com

foxnews.com

facebook loads very slow

Yesterday additional sited wouldn't load.

downdetector.com

Thunderbird.com

thefederalist.com

washingtontimes.com

JBN23
      New Contributor II

I'm in the 23606 zip code and have noticed the same problems since Friday (1/24) evening. I'm getting the same connection time out message for the following:

aa.com

united.com

netflix.com

weatherunderground.com

Numerous other sites load very slowly.

micahdrawings
      New Contributor II

Also in 23462 and got someone on CoxHelp Twitter to ask for tracert and DNS info from me. It gives me some hope that they realize this is a bigger issue than they are letting us know. I do wish they'd be more communicative about this -- I feel like it's only good customer service to announce what's going on and what they're doing about it.

A tech came by and said he'd report this, and that he'd had several other calls with the same issue. Among the sites I cannot access at all:

discordapp.com

hulu.com

oldnavy.com

artstation.com

gumroad.com

patreon.com

trupanion.com

envato.com

Netflix and Instagram load extremely slowly over my Cox service, but are fine on my cellular data. 

stuco
      New Contributor III

There are additional websites I cannot access and I need to pay my credit card bill today. It's been 3 days without any resolution which is totally unacceptable!

citi.com

citicards.com

americanexpress.com

hp.com

cnbc.com

joesnewbalanceoutlet.com

rakuten.com

and many more to add more to my above list from yesterday!

Emails from any of the affected websites won't load as well.

Can someone from Cox please offer us an update to this horrible situation???

Soulprison
        New Contributor III

This happened to me today.  I had to use my cellphone off the wifi to pay almost all my bills today.  This is getting ridiculous. 

Lozt
    New Contributor

discordapp, different vpn websites. 

Soulprison
    New Contributor III

Just an update on my end.  It looks like whatever was the issue was it has been corrected as of right now. 

• Just a follow-up, this was corrected as of the 28th.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator