Read the forum guidelines
so i've had problems with my internet for a few months. originally i was getting barely 2 Mbps downstream (with regular up stream for some reason), called cox and had someone come out. said it was a busted diode in the box on the outside of the house and it seemed to fix the issue for a time.
little over a month later and i'm getting intermittent internet issues again. looked around and found out how to see error messages from my modem, kept seeing a slew of them most commonly being (DS Partial Service Fallback: MDD Lost) (Lost MDD Timeout) (MDD Recovery following MDD Loss) in a chain, along with interspersed T3 an T4 timeouts which i think were often paired with the modem randomly resetting itself. this happened independent of internet activity, i saw logs from the middle of the night when nothing was going on.
called cox about this issue (specifically timed it during an instance where my internet was messed up so they'd actually see something), was told that they couldn't see the issue because they couldn't even see my modem, concluded my modem was bad and needed replacing. sounded sort of wrong, since i was on the internet at the time (even though it was slow) and it did randomly work perfectly fine; but i ended up replacing the modem since it was about 5 years old.
so i got the new modem yesterday, plugged it in and tried to activate it through the browser page that opens when you try to use a new modem without attaching it to the account yet. that didn't work so i called cox and spent at least an hour doing the same reset/restart/wait cycle over and over as the tech on the line failed multiple times to actually activate the modem. when i finally stopped getting the 'unactivated modem' page and could actually use the internet i found i was having the same slow internet speeds and the tech told me he couldn't see my modem... told me to call motorola and ask them for help...
so i looked more into my modem, noticed some odd things about the downloaded bonded channels page.
this is what it is right now. and my internet speeds are actually pretty ok right now. i'm not sure what everything here means, but i've read that the pwr column should be within -+10 dBmV and that i should have more activity on the channels listed here. last night i had 7 channels with activity (i assume, because there were 0s in the corrected/uncorrected columns for the other 17 channels). i'm guessing this is bad, but again i'm not well read on a lot of this.
so back to my question. before i waste more time trying to talk to some random tech who'll likely put me through a couple more hours of worthless trials can anyone tell me if this is possibly an issue on my end (by that i mean in my house). i bought the new modem against my better judgement because the tech told me that if my old one was busted they'd charge me $75 for the service check; figured i had nothing to loose at that point. now that i've replaced it i've got to look at other possible problems in my house before calling to avoid another charge.
so could it be the coax cable from my wall to the modem? could it be an amplifier that they saddle me with years ago that i've got plugged into said coax cable? or could it be that i have two magically dead modems with what appears to be the same random connection issues?
First, what model old modem did you have and what model do you have now? If you hook up the old modem do you see the same issue on the first 16 channels?
Next, can you describe how the coaxial gets from street to the outlet used for the modem? You mention a amp, but any splitters? Also where is the amp located?
My gut says it's something outside the house, but it sounds like you want to isolate your inside wiring. Those question should get us started.
sorry for the slow response, slowly cutting new lengths of coax cable to replace older pieces inside.
older model was a surfboard (sb6141), so it was an 8x4. and yeah, i saw similar dBmV values with the channels that locked. if i remember correctly it only showed activity on 7 of the 8 channels too, with similar correctable/uncorrectable numbers.
as for the coax line. well it runs from a poll to the house, enters a box on the side of the house where i assume the signal is de-scrambled by the electronics cox put in it. then the line comes out and runs on the outside of the house to the side wall where it come in. from the jack inside there's a length of coax that hits a T-junction splitter (it has 2 inputs and 1 output instead of the regular 1 in 2+ out), and that output goes to the modem. the amp is plugged into the wall outlet right by the coax jack in the wall, coax cable from it is plugged into the second input on the T-junction splitter.
hampton14...so I'm guessing the amp is there to boost the signal at the splitter then on to your PC. Trying to find something of issues with you incoming lines/splitter or even amp. Maybe you could try to connect the modem in front of the splitter/amp and check the modem signals. Since it would probably be difficult to check the modem right at the COX box outside your house, trying to eliminate any possible extra connection would be important. Using 2 different modems, and you got similar readings of wide spread power and correct/uncorr values, and even a 0.0 node is not good. WiderM is more versed on lousy values. Keep trying....hope its not the cable from the outside Cox box to your house. Of course, it could be Cox box and moisture in their connections, or a bad something else.