Forum Discussion

miliox0
New Contributor
30 days ago

Internet connection throttled

Hello. There have been some days in a row where my Xbox Series X is being throttled. I can see the ping going from low ms to more than 500 ms. All my other devices are working ok. 

Does somebody with the same symptom and how to approach Cox to ask them to stop throttling my service?

Kind regards

3 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Since Cox doesn't throttle internet, we need to do some detective work, Try running traceroutes and see where the delay is taking place. There is probably some router in between that is getting overloaded and is slowing down your data. 

Having been employed by Cox for 16 years before retiring, I can certainly assist you in determining where the issue exists. 

carogers
    New Contributor

Maybe you can assist with my issue.

I am paying for unlimited gigablast. Starting exactly Jan 1, 2024, my connection has slowed down considerably. I have a spreadsheet showing my speedtest results. In 31 random speed tests starting Jan 1st, my downstream has maxed between 94-96Mbps. Upstream 39-40Mbps. "Perfect" results every time. Ping always 5-10ms. This is with a Cat-6 wired connection directly from my Unifi router to my machine. Most of these tests were run between 7pm and midnight when things seemed "slow", a handful first thing in the AM to see if things had improved. I can't see this as being an equipment issue or even a problem with the system because of the extremely consistent results. In the past, I usually would see around 950Mbps down except times when there was an obvious system problem or outage. That Jan 1st start date looks suspiciously like a policy change. :/      Are you sure that Cox doesn't throttle the internet? 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Check your ethernet speed, it sounds like your ethernet connection is running at 100baseTX, and not 1000. There are a number of ways that happens, it can be a setting in software, to an ethernet cable that needs to be changed out to a cat5E, or cat 6 cable. 

Test with your computer direct to the modem, with a Cat 5E cable, verify the computer is connected at 1gbps, and not 100mbps, and then run your test. You will probably see a drastic change in speed.