Forum Discussion

AgingHippie
New Contributor
6 years ago

Does "bridge mode" mean turn off wifi and just be a cable modem connected via uplink to a router?

Trying to configure my home network.  I set up the router, connected its uplink to the 4141 and put the 4141 in bridge mode.  The 4141 won't provide an internet connection.

6 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You're connecting an unmentioned router to your Technicolor CGM4141?  If so, yes, the CGM4141 is just a connection to your router.  The CGM4141 will only move data from one network (Cox) to another network (Your router).  The Bridge only operates at the Data Link layer so it's not concerned with any routing protocols.

If your CGM4141is in Bridge mode, only its LAN Port-1 is active.  If your CGM4141is in Bridge mode, it also changes its IP address to 192.168.100.1.

If you don't have Internet service, that'd be a connectivity problem between your client and the unmentioned router.  They need to point to the IP of your router.  Can you connect a client to a LAN port of your router?

AgingHippie
      New Contributor

Ah, it changes its IP!  That means I have to tell the router a different default gateway, which is probably why I couldn't get a connection.

But I'm correct about bridge mode, right?  It just shuts down DHCP and wifi on the 4141 and turns it into a plain cable modem with one ethernet port that conects to the WAN port on the router?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

You are correct about the bridge.  It just turns the 4141 into a modem.