Forum Discussion

DataCapsStink
New Contributor II
7 years ago

Data Cap of 1024 GB Per Month Is Too Low!!!

My household of just two people both with full time jobs went over our 1024 GB data cap last month by 64 GB, which led to an overage charge of $20. This is the first time it has happened to us.

Most of our data usage has been automatic cloud backups of travel pictures and videos from recent weekend trips, Netflix and also Amazon Prime video streaming.

Netflix uses about 3GB per hour for HD content. 

Amazon Prime uses 6.84 GB per hour for the "Best" video stream!

If 1024 GB per month isn't enough for two people, how is it going to be enough for a family of four or more with kids streaming YouTube and Netflix on tablets every evening.

1024 / 30 days is only 34 GB per day. 

34 GB is only about 5 hours of Amazon Prime video streaming. That would be easy to exceed in one night especially while surfing the internet or uploading some travel pictures and videos to Facebook.

The data cap used to be 2048 GB (2 TB) earlier this year. They quietly reduced it to extract more money from all of their customers.

Has anyone else run into this problem? 

I have a hard time believing that most modern households with kids and filled with internet connected devices can keep under the 1024GB limit.

8 Replies

• Hi DataCapsStink, here is a link to our website for information about date usage: http://bit.ly/2ifXExf There are tips to optimize your usage and improve your online experience. Also, you may be interested in our add-on data plans: http://bit.ly/2w8zz3F

• I would be willing to bet their "average" household pays for cable.  The data cap is nothing short of extortion trying to force cord-cutters into buying their cable services.  It is awful and you are not alone. Sadly Cox has a monopoly (like every ISP) and I have no other option. But I have written formal complaints to the FCC.  Not that they care, but they do get tracked and reported and it looks bad for Cox.

Gone2Maui
    New Contributor

It is ridiculous to me that COX offers Gbps speed internet service but limits everyone to just 1GB of consumption.   You would think that it would at least be tiered so that those with services above 100Mbps would get more data to consume.  The people I talked to at COX, that were not in customer service, were not aware, and couldn't believe, that the cap was so low.  I am a new COX customer so I currently have plenty of TV to watch due to their new customer offers.  Once my first year is up, unless they expand the cap I will be switching service.

Karen_R
    Former Moderator
    Hello Gone2Maui,

Cox offers additional data plans if you're going over the limit see the link http://bit.ly/2w8zz3F. I can provide feedback to the reps leaders that you spoke with as well. Please send an email to cox.help@cox.com inlcude your full name, address, and a link to this forum post. We will reply back once we receive the email. Thanks
    sokal48
    New Contributor

Also when you do go over they throttle you data speed.  I thought I had cable line, modem or router issues. purchased all new stuff to just remain at half speeds.  Especially around peek times.  So for a week now I have been monitoring my speeds every 15 min for week noticed my 300 Mbps I pay for is fine from 11PM to about 530PM the next day and 90-130 during 6pm to 11pm. so my average for the week is 133mbps.  I pay for 300Mbps.  How I really found out how it was not the wire to my house or my equipment I took my modem to a friends house hooked my modem up to his cable line.  My friend also pay for 300Mbps. his modem is a COX rental as I own mine and before you say I have an old modem before my new one I had a SB6190. 32x8 channels capable of 1Gb, this modem did have a bad chip set "puma 6" Which is what convinced me it was a hardware issue.  my new modem is a SB8200 a Docsis3.1 beyond what my area supports.  So back to my friends house, both modem hooked directly to computers with CAT7 cables and 1000bT connections he was pulling over 300 for the 10 minutes we tested a solid range of 290-320's. my test were no different then my house 100-130's.  My thoughts are if you limit my advertised speed you  should prorate my charges.   Sorry but this has been an expensive discovery just to find they are trying to get all of us to pay more.  This is also in their policy that they can throttle your net to make sure the NODE can provide inter net to all on the Node by load balancing.  What they don't say is that you will also have a lower priority and slower speeds if you constantly push this minimal cap

• Data caps are ridiculous. Even though the average family currently doesn't exceed the data cap, they soon will. There is no indication that Cox will update the included data limit even though as technology progresses we will all be using more data. I heard one of their commercials and it is about the dumbest thing I've heard. It's about they guy that got Cox business cause he needn't steady internet "not data caps." As if it wasn't Cox themselves that imposed the data limit. I've been with Cox for 8 years but really thinking of jumping ship.

DataCapsStink
    New Contributor II

Thanks for your responses. I knew we weren't the only ones who didn't like the data cap.

Our lease is up at this place.

We're moving a mile down the road to be in the Spectrum / Time Warner Cable service area.

We're lucky that there is also Spectrum / TWC in most our city. Cox only has a small region of the city and then all of the surrounding cities.

Sure, the only available plan is 100mbps for $44.99 per month (for the first year).

But at least they give you a free modem and no data cap. I can use the internet and not be checking our usage like a cell phone plan when we are in 2018! 

CarolLM
    Former Moderator

Hi, we'd like to take a look to see what's going on with your Internet speed, because we don't throttle our customers' service.  Please reach out to us via email at cox.help@cox.com, Twitter via direct message or a Facebook private message with your complete address and account name.  We want you to get the speed you subscribe to and pay for.  Thanks,