Forum Discussion

funsheet
New Contributor
7 years ago

Not receiving near Gigablast Speeds

Hi,

So this may have been posted elsewhere, but I'm definitely having speed issues with Cox Gigablast in my area. I am using DOCSIS 3.1, not Fiber.

I am currently using the Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 and the Motorola MR1900 AC Router setup.

I have had two techs come out. The first was unhelpful, and just said there were disruptions in the lines, and he would create a ticket for it. I then called again a few weeks later to have a lead technician come out and check things out.

When he hooked up the test machine direct to my router, he was able to achieve 1.1gbps download and 38mbps upload, which is what I would expect.

But when I hookup up my laptop in the same scenario, which has a Killer wireless Gigabit Port capable of 940mbps, I max out at 477mbps download, and 32mbps upload. 

And those results were intermittent. Sometimes it would be 84mbps, other times it would be 300mbps. But I am never able to achieve speeds even close to 1gbps. His results were all consistent, except one time when it came back with roughly 200mps. And this has all been direct wired.

I have been testing all of this on the 5ghz network as well. 

Mentioning wireless, the fastest I ever achieved is 360mbps download and 32mbps upload. Then it would drop all the way down to 17mbps download sometimes. But uploads are always consistent. Consistently at this point I haven't seen about 200mbps download from any device over WiFi

I'm extremely frustrated at this point, as it seems when the technician was able to connect his device, he could receive the speeds I am expecting, yet when I hooked up my brand new laptop, I don't even receive half of that. 

I am currently working with Motorola to see if there is a problem with the router and/or modem, but everything seems to be in order (Channels etc). 

Its just odd that the tech could receive the gigabit speeds when direct wiring his machine, and I can't with mine.

I can provides captures of speed tests run and channel settings. I'm just extremely frustrated. Does anyone have any recommendations for the router and/or modem setup? Am I missing something?

Oh, and ever since I changed to Gigablast, it constantly says on my account "Service Interrupted"  by my Internet package settings on Cox.com. When I asked Cox about this a week ago, the mentioned its because site maintenance was being done, but its still there.

I couldn't see it being my personal equipment:

2017 Razer Blade Pro and 2017 Macbook Pro, both of which are 802.11AC

iPhone X

Game Consoles

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @funsheet

If the technician was able to get good results it sounds like the connection is not the problem. Do you have a device with gigabit that does not use a Killer NIC you can try connecting directly to the modem and testing with?

TPS
    New Contributor

I have had Gigablast for at least a year now.  At first I was getting speeds of 900+Mbps, but about every couple weeks it would drop into the 200's so I would have to reboot my fiber modem. Once rebooted it was back up into the 900's.  However the past couple months the reboot has not worked and I am getting mid 200's max.  Did something happen to your network or is my modem going bad?  My coax modem was faster than this, I am thinking of going back if this cannot be fixed.

• Hello TPS, The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally. We can definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.
    funsheet
    New Contributor

Yes,

I tried this with my MacBook Pro 2017 and received the same results. Also, I am primarily running devices wirelessly anyways, but I would expect to see faster speeds than I am currently seeing. 80 to 100 mbps download speeds.

funsheet
    New Contributor

@chrisL

I am less concerned about the speed of the wired connection to be honest. I am extremely concerned with the performance of my wireless speeds when I am in the same room right next to my router and modem.

• Hello Funsheet, With testing the modem we are not finding anything with our remote tools that would suggest an issue, but if you are not getting the correct sustained speeds we do want to help. If you would like to schedule an appointment for a tech to come out. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.