Forum Discussion

StayingAlert
New Contributor
9 years ago

Intermittent internet connection loss, Airport Extreme (newest version) router and SB6141 modem

For several weeks I have experienced intermittent loss of connection to internet, sometimes resolving spontaneously but other times requiring reboot (power off/power on) of cable modem (Arris SB6141).  Cox support by (phone and by local technician visits to home)  show proper signal levels to modem.  Arris/Motorola support also says modem checks out OK, according to signal levels, etc., in the modem status pages.  Internet speed test for my level of service (Preferred) has been normal when the internet connection is present.  The connection loss in recent weeks is typically in the 12 midnight to 2:00 am time period.  On the two most recent occasions Cox reps denied a known maintenance outage, stated my problem was unique.  Local in-home wifi network works fine; only internet connection is lost.

On my latest call to cox tech support, the tech ran tests and suspected a problem with the cable modem (Arris SB6141) and arranged for a new modem to be shipped to me (Cisco DPC3010).  This arrived but I have not connected it yet, pending further research.

Researching the issue, I found reports of alleged incompatibility between Cox and the Airport Extreme router, possibly related to Cox’s IPv6 implementation of IPv6 and the AE router  IPv6 settings.  There are also reports of incompatibility between the Arris Sb6141 modem and the AE router.  

Question: Are there any setup parameters in the Airport Extreme router that I should try before changing out to the new modem?  Something perhaps related to interaction between the AE router and SB6141 modem, or between the AE router settings and Cox’s IPv6 requirements?  My current router settings are Configure IPv6 “Automatically” (other choices are “link-local only” and “manually”) and IPv6 Mode “Native” (other choice is “tunnel”).

31 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion