Forum Discussion

PJL1520
New Contributor II
7 months ago

Tuning Adapter (High-Split) Converter Problem

I have a TV ROAMIO that has been used without problems with a tuning adapter for 9 years.  

A few months ago I was sent a new High Split Converter (HSC-1-H) and I installed it and it worked without issue for 2 months.

At 2 am a week ago, I could not receive any channels.

When I unplugged the HSC tuning adapter - everything returned to normal.

I replaced the Cable Card - no effect

A COX tech spent 2 hours in my house and was unable to find the problem.    He verified that all my wiring, splitters, and signals to the unit were fine.     He replaced all the cable and splitters.

I replaced with TIVO with a new ROAMIO - No change -  Nothing will work once I plug in the Tuning Adapter.

COX sent me a new Tuning Adapter (HSC) and everything worked for about 24 hours - then, once again at 2 am - the problem returned.   No channels unless I unplug the tuning adapter.   

I have changed all the USB cables, twice, changed every component in the system, twice, and watched the COX tech work on the problem for 2 hours - Nothing.  

I have an open support ticket, but no one ever updates the status.   

Any suggestions?   Firmware updates?

42 Replies

bscheets
    New Contributor

We just got the new, required Vecima HSC Tuning Adapter to be used with my Roamio.  It had been working fine with the Cisco TA, but they are making changes that require the HSC.  Of course I wouldn't be posting if everything worked fine.  It isn't working, and the TA Diagnostics won't show anything.  They sent a tech out who couldn't resolve, and another one is now scheduled.  He'd tried both split and passthru config (left the latter), but neither worked.  Note that they had not changed the cablecard;  just the TA.  I'm glad to hear its working with a Roamio, and it may just be the firmware level.  I can't see the firmware version due to the TA diagnostics not displaying.  Was the firmware update something they had to manually push?

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

All 3 of my HSC Tuning Adapters started a reboot loop at 7:59PM (Arizona Time) Wed, 04/24/24
    Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
    I called the CableCARD hotline, they said they could see the rebooting happing, and my area had a very high call volume for Issues.

DorisM

Hi, there. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your service. Please email my team with your request at cox.help@cox.com so we can obtain account details and review further.

Thank you.

davephx
        New Contributor II

oops deleted to reply to original poster

davephx
    New Contributor II

I had a very great Cox tech at my home about a week ago who installed the Vecima HSC Tuning Adapter in Phoenix to my TIVO Edge after the 3rd party tech sent prior day but they do not have access to the Vecima. 

The Cox tech was determined to get it to work on phone with his expert who knew TIVO etc.   Tried both ways of connecting, confirmed cablecard was right MAC etc etc. Was here for over 2 hours determined to get it working. 

Conclusion was that the Vecima needed a firmware update which his expert said could take up to 48 hours.  Cox tech said he would call me the next day to see if working.

Tech called a VOLA! it works!!!  It was the firmware update that was needed on the Vecima the tech picked up from his supply - and he said was the last one.

Note the lower channels worked fine but not some of the higher channels which probably makes sense, although some worked.   Now all works.

Backstory This may have been posted here on different threads but in Phoenix (or myself and others - on the TIVO forum) got notices had to update a device (didn't way what) and order within a few weeks or would lose service in I believe July.   I do things immediately.  

When I did the chat thing I explained the letter but the person obviously had no clue.  Insisted they would sent out 3 new "boxes" (I have Edge and two Minis) and would cost $13 (not sure if monthly or one-time and the letter said "no cost upgrade".   I later talked by phone to tech support and they were unable by the codes to see what the outside contactor tech was going to install.  He suggested let them bring whatever those "boxes" are but don't let them touch anything not TIVO related i.e. not contour boxes.

The outside contractor tech had no clue even looked up if they had access to Vecima products and they only had for commercial use not residential.

Called cox tech support and knew exactly what I needed and had to be a cox tech to install.   And cox tech as described above was great.

For info the high split allows more channels and some report higher upload speeds (not sure if correct).  The Vecima converts the higher 300+Mhz high split down to the 140Mhz range so the current cable cards can work since they will not receive the higher freq signals.

Roamio_Edge
      New Contributor

I hope I have an easier time. We got the vague email about ordering new equipment for the July 24th software update. Oliver chat was pretty useless, just sending me to the Cox store. I'll try that tomorrow.

I have been using the Cisco TA's with my Edge and Roamio, but was aware the Vecima was coming sooner or later. I guess that is now. 

Do we know what the working version number of the Vecima software is?

bscheets
    New Contributor

Had some trouble getting logged in here to post an update, but a second tech that had Cable Card / Tuning Adapter experience was able to get everything to work.  Primarily a lot of reboots and waiting.

Note:  latest TA (Vecima HSC) firmware version: eTR version 1.8.0  Although I originally couldn't get the TiVo to show any TA diagnostics, the original was on 1.4 I think they said.  Everything has been working great for about a week.  The TA does get pretty hot;  I've got it on the top and separated from the other electronics.

Note also, the correct wiring is cable into TA, and then out to the TiVo (pass thru), and not split.  Apparently, the new TA has the capability to re-modulate channels (impressive), and therefore the TiVo needs to get the cable from the TA.  

The techs were very nice and cooperative.  One remote tech was helpful in provisioning and scheduling the on-site techs.  Any chat, general help desk, or retail store people; however, are clueless.  The best you can hope from them is to ship you the new TA and/or schedule an appointment with the right techs.  The retail store people (especially the store manager) are generally rude and very put out that you want something other than what they are trying to sell you.  You can get the new TA shipped to your home, and I think if you wait long enough and reboot enough (both TA and TiVo), I think the TA will eventually download the latest firmware.  You shouldn't need a new cablecard;  I don't believe they have anything "new" cablecards anyway.  Even if it isn't working initially, you'll want to leave the TA on overnight (cable in and power) so it can get the latest firmware downloaded.  It didn't appear the techs could do anything to force a TA to update itself.

Roamio_Edge
    New Contributor

I did a self install. Coax passes though the TA, USB hooks up ( they're still using the old mini-USB or whatever that thing is), power on, and make the activation call. The Edge was working before the call ( or old data from the Cisco was being used?).

Funnily enough, the Roamio worked fine without the TA but not with it. During the activation call they had me reset the TA after doing something at their end. The Roamio appeared to work fine after that so I hung up. However it only worked until the TA finished rebooting (kind of slow I guess), so no golden bullet there. Looking at the Roamio devices page I could see the tuning adapter status cycling between present and not present. Reboots of either or both boxes didn't help. The USB connection wasn't working between them. 

I split the coax into both the old TA and the new TA and used the old one while the new one downloaded a firmware update. About 24 hours later I swapped to the new TA and the Roamio showed a solid USB connection status. All the channels were working. 

Which all just confirms what has been said here already about Roamio TA's. I'm glad I knew what to expect, since Cox was mostly clueless. No need to send techs out. It just needs to sit, connected to Cox, probably after activation, long enough (maybe 24 to 48 hours, maybe less) to update its firmware.