Forum Discussion

jillrenee1973
New Contributor II
7 months ago
Solved

Sound cutting out on dvr

Why does my sound cut out on dvr recordings?  It doesn't do it while watching live television, only dvr recordings.  It makes them unwatchable.

• Service tech replaced the line to the house.  There was a high level of "noise interference" due to age of line.  It seems to have solved the issue.  

14 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Keithg
    New Contributor

I'm having the same issue with the audio intermittently cutting out when watching the DVR.  I assume the DVR is cloud based. The issue just started a couple of days ago.  

MichaelJ

Hello and thank you for reaching out to us about this audio issue with your cloud DVR. I recommend checking the audio cables (HDMI) to ensure they are secured and undamaged. If the issue continues, you can try replacing the cable box at one of our stores. You can find the store locations at https://www.cox.com/local/search. If you would like to schedule a service call for a technician to investigate, please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and a link to this thread. Thank you, 

jillrenee1973
    New Contributor II

I have a Cox tech coming out this evening to troubleshoot my issue. I will update for those having the same problem. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

It could be a defective DVR or a poor signal.   It's hard to diagnose without even knowing if you have  a hard drive or Cloud DVR.

jillrenee1973
      New Contributor II

I assume it is a cloud DVR because we only have the mini contour boxes instead of a large "home box"  like we did previously. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

From the Community home page, type Cloud DVR audio in the search box at the top of the page and press Enter.  (That will generate a list of previous posts on the subject that can be viewed.  Selecting the browser back button will return you to that list to view additional threads) .  Cloud DVR has had audio issues for years.  A previous post might contain relevant information. 

TiffanyR

We are aware of an issue with Cloud DVR recordings but no known issues for sound issues. It is odd that the issue only happens on recordings and not live TV. I would recommend checking the audio cables (HDMI) to ensure they are secured and undamaged. If the issue continues, you can try replacing the cable box at one of our stores. You can find the store locations at https://www.cox.com/local/search. If you would like to schedule a service call for a technician to investigate, please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and a link to this thread. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I don't have Cloud DVR service and never will.  I was alerting the OP that there have been reported issues with Cloud DVR audio for years.  Apparently, it's still an issue.  The post to which you replied was to inform the OP how they can do their own research on the subject.

TiffanyR wrote:

It is odd that the issue only happens on recordings and not live TV.

Why is that odd?  Live TV and Cloud DVR playback are two different things.  An issue that affects one wouldn't necessarily affect the other.

jillrenee1973
      New Contributor II

I have been trying to find an online resolution for 2 days.  I had already searched this forum and others.  No one had the same issue or had any type of related fixes.  This was my last hope before calling a tech out.  

• I am having the same issues with sound cutting out on DVR recordings. I have the cloud base remote boxes also. Live TV is fine.

Mrsorr2u
    New Contributor

I'm having the same issue. This just started last night on a dvr recording on my bedroom tv and now tonight the same issues on my living room tv. No issues with live tv. 

MichaelJ

Hi Mrsorr2u, If you would like to schedule a service call for a technician to investigate, please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and a link to this thread. Thank you, 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Audio issues with Cloud DVR are most likely due to a signal issue.  Unlike local DVR where recordings are stored on a local hard drive, Cloud DVR recordings are stored on a Cox server.  Playback is streamed over the Internet.  Audio and video playback quality depends on a stable, strong Internet connection.  If you're having an audio or video issue with Cloud DVR, you should schedule a tech to check your signal strength.  If there's a signal issue on Cox's side of the demarc, you won't be charged for the service call.  However, if there's no signal issue or it's on your side, you'll be charged a fee.  So, thoroughly check your connections before scheduling the tech visit.  

jillrenee1973
    New Contributor II

Service tech replaced the line to the house.  There was a high level of "noise interference" due to age of line.  It seems to have solved the issue.