Forum Discussion

Monster2018
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Same service! Another rate hike? Really?

Ok hear is the problem i am having. First my bill is now $235 bucks, without gigablast which i really not sure i want. If it is is anything like what i have now, it is probably not worth it. I am supposed to be getting 300megbits ps internet speed but according to numerous speed test i am only getting about 90ish. Once in a while it may go up to 100. My biggest problem is for the last 6 weeks my service Cable/Internet/Phone will go up and down. I called cox support, who i could barley understand, and was told that there was NO outage in my area. So the tech came out to my house a couple days later and then was told there IS an outage in my area. Which one is it cox? The internet loads slow as molasses and keeps shutting down. The contour menu and onscreen guide struggle to load and more often than not freeze up. I end up getting the " we are having trouble connecting your box" message. I have done the troubleshooting steps over and over and over again. I have checked the connections to make sure they are secure. I have unplugged , waiting at least 10 seconds, and then plugging them back in. I have tried resetting the the modem using the troubleshooting steps and still not getting anywhere near the download rate advertised. Now they want to jack up my bill another $235 a month. It is getting to the point where it is not worth the cost or the headache. I switched over from Direct TV because of similar issues. If cox would come out here and Change out all the equipment to brand new  modes,box and the connections so that i don't have these issues anymore and wouldn't charge me for it, maybe it would be worth keeping. I am getting tired of their introductory rates and then having my bill hiked up just because they can. I am already on a fixed income and can not keep affording this mess. This is why most people are cutting their cords.

2 Replies

• Hi Monster2018,

Thanks for reaching out to us through Cox Forums. In reviewing the modem stats and your speed test if you're capping out around 95 Mbps on a wired connection, it could be a possibility that your computer only has a 10/100 NIC. Another possibility is the Ethernet cable. For speeds above 100 Mbps, CAT5E (Gig-E 1000BaseT) is recommended.

Billing and account issues require the sharing of sensitive information to resolve which isn’t suited for a public forum. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with this post, your full name, and complete address.

Maria L.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Korde_Kutter
    New Contributor II

Why do you still pay Cox for television?  Get a roku device or an Amazon Fire Stick, connect it to the internet and start streaming your television.  Get Sling TV for your cable channels, get whatever else you want too and you can pay for these services every month and have wonderful tv without paying $235 monthly plus your internet fees.  This is the twenty first century.  Cable tv has lost millions of subscribers and will lose millions more in 2019.  It is very easy to do these things.  Give Cox back their box and cancel your cable tv.  You can get local stations with perfect clarity free over the air with a new little indoor antenna.  Give the future a chance.  Fortune favors the bold!!