Forum Discussion

Almostsane1
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Contour remote lags

I recently switched to Cox from a satellite provider. I wish I hadn't.  The delay and lag using the contour system is horrendous.  You have to press the buttons on the remote several times, wait between presses, and at times the remote send to almost freeze.  I don't need a record to talk to.  There is a serious issue with the remote or the operating system software. 

Trying to watch a recorded show and using the fast forward option is a complete joke with the contour system. 

I'm just about ready to go back to what I had. I have replaced the remote, checked the cables, and spoken to tech support multiple times.  

Let's get this issue fixed Cox.  Seems to be a major problem

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      Almostsane1
      New Contributor II

Done.  Brand New remote.  This is not an isolated issue.  Many more parts on this

Almostsane1
        New Contributor II

And if I have to replace brand new batteries after a week, then it is definitely a hardware issue.  

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

A delay in processing Contour2 remote button pushes has been discussed in previous threads.  Several possible causes were discussed.  

Perform these steps to Troubleshoot Contour 2 Remote Issues

If you're still having delays with the remote after performing troubleshooting procedures, your issue may be a poor signal.  You should email Cox at cox.help@cox.com.  Include your full name and your full service address along with a link to this thread.  They should be able to help you.

• Hi Almostsane1. You want to make sure that you are directly in front of the box when you are using the remote control as the range of the remote control is 15 feet, via direct line of sight to the receiver. Also, check out www.cox.com/.../troubleshooting-issues-with-the-cox-remote.html as this may give you some pointers as well. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Almostsane1....I have 2 Contour2 DVRs connected to a Sony and Samsung TV.  The remotes to both work within a second or two of pressing.  As CurtB pointed out, the links he posted and others have discussed some solutions and issues.  There have been times, previously for me, when the response was terrible...like 10 or more seconds, but response returned to Good a few hours or maybe a day.  I believe that COX on their side makes a fix.  If it persists, email or give them a call.

I have the voice activated Remote (XR11-RF, version 1.-) paired with a XG1-A DVR (2pbm Record).  This is unit is not Wireless.  The fast fwd/bck works on previously recorded shows, and I was able to make the page up/down buttons to do a 30sec/15sec jump  (there are links in this forum for this great feature).  Also, if you go to the Gear Settings, scroll to About...you will see the Remote battery level shown and the version of firmware...mine is 107.00, dated 1/6/20 at 8:55am.  This was at 106.1.1 on 12/10/19...so COX does update, of course, you never get any indication as to when unless you check. 

Finally, LisaH implied you need a direct line of sight...I find that I can work the remote while it is behind my back....but probably within a reasonable distance.  Don't give up!

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The delay/lag is annoying but eventually goes away.

I connected Contour in Spring-19 and there was no sluggishness with the remote.  About 6 months later (Oct), however, it started responding like Jell-O.  I shared on the Forum but Cox had no expertise.

https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/phone_forum/f/phone-forum/24075/call-history/92742#92742

My guess is Contour is either installing an update or CRC-ing after an update.  This mysterious process lasted 2-3 days and eventually cleared.  Then 10 days later, the sluggishness returned and lasted another 2-3 days.  Again, it eventually cleared and I haven't experienced it in 4 months.

Again, best guess, it's a once or twice process which eventually completes.  Kinda like a Windows Service Pack update.

Almostsane1
      New Contributor II

Tech support shared with me that the remote works on a 2.4ghz Bluetooth connection and that other Bluetooth device could interfer. And, to be directly in front of the box.  Either way, it is a poor design.  I don't know too many families that sit right in front of the box.  Not a typical room layout in my opinion. Thanks for the insight though

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Unless Contour is designed with Bluetooth v1...I don't see interference an issue.

Zigbee would be a different story but you could try changing the channel of your WiFi.  I'd wait a few days to rule out my update theory.