Forum Discussion

forumuser1
New Contributor
7 years ago

40% Off Offer but ONLY if we terminate service!

Received offer in the mail - called and was immediately told it was mailed in error.

After discussion, we were told quite clearly that the 40% offer was only available if we terminated service!

The agent offered to terminate service and then we could call back immediately and start over with 40% lower rates.

I so wish I was a retired attorney - I would LOVE to spend some of Cox's money in court ... might not win, but it would be good to get this on the record and share it broadly.

Customer Loyalty or Fealty??

WOW!

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You must have something grandfathered they want to cancel.  When XM Radio first launched, they offered me a lifetime subscription for $400.  I took it.  Ever since they've merged with Sirius, they've sent me umpteen offers to sign up for a "better" deal, which would have meant canceling my lifetime subscription.  They hate me there.

forumuser1
    New Contributor

OK - great circle route and we called until they said we were eligible ...so, will see if it actually goes through.  We have a ticket number.

Next step is to find out why I must have a phone in order for Cox's cable modem to work.  Agent said I could buy a modem and not have to pay the $15 per month for a landline phone THAT I HAVE NEVER TOUCHED!  My sister was given a new model modem yesterday so I have her Arris model Surfboard 6121 ... manual shows it good for 178 Mbps downlink which is greater than my service of 100 Mbps.  Anyone been through this?

forumuser1
      New Contributor

Reply to my own ... my sister was given a SB8200 which supports Cox's new marketing efforts at 32x8... ironically, she has a 30 Mbps plan.  I now have the router she previously bought - a SB6121, which supports 187 Mbps 4x4.  My plan is 100 Mbps so SB6121 should be fine.  Sister has massive capability in the modem, but no interest in more than the 30 Mbps she currently has.  Weird world.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Is this 40% discount a promotional offer that will expire in 12 months?  It doesn't make sense to cut your rate if your canx/renew your service.  Unless, of course, Cox would get more money outta you in the long run.

• Hi Forumuser1,

Thank you for reaching out to us through Cox Forums. This forum is primarily intended for the discussion of technical issue among peers. Billing and account issues require the sharing of sensitive information to resolve which isn't best suited for a public forum. Please reach out to us on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/coxcommunications), our Twitter handle (www.twitter.com/coxhelp), or email at cox.help@cox.com with this post, your full name, and complete address.

Maria L.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Your canned statement, "This forum is primarily intended..." is just a panacea to avoid answering questions.

Yes, in accordance with the Forums Usage Guidelines, customers are to use the Forum for technical issues but also to "...exchange ideas and get information relating to Cox products and services..."

The 40% Off Offer is a Cox product.  Cox created it, Cox markets it and Cox sells it.  It's no different than a Cox offer for Homelife, Showtime or a Sports Pak.  If I see an offer to upgrade my Internet plan, I can't ask a question about it in the Forum?

Forumuser1's question doesn't concern billing, account issues or sensitive information.  He/she received a Cox product in the mail; however, in good faith and for non-violating reasons, Cox must terminate service to affect the product.  Why?  Doesn't that sound odd to you, Maria?

Forumuser1 just wants a public record to answer:  To get a 40% discount, why would we need to call Cox to terminate service, hang-up the phone and immediately call Cox again to subscribe to a new, discounted service?

It sounds fishy.  It reminds me of an episode of The Office.

forumuser1
      New Contributor

Thanks, Maria.  The problem with supporting fora like this is the users will share information - so, the supporting group/commercial entity needs to have sufficiently good enough products to ensure everyone, in the end, provides comments relating to a positive experience.  There will always be outliers with unfair stories - that is not the intent of this thread.

Here is the update from today ... after a couple hours on the phone and a visit to the local Cox store to return the ETM box (has the ability to support landlines), the used modem I had was turned on and I'm up and operating.  Our newly negotiated cost is not yet shown online, so will withhold statement until I see it with my own eyes.

The ETM box is a bit special compared to the usual cable modems ... it has ports for RJ45 phone connectors, which are not needed if you don't have a land line.  Since I had a land line and wanted to disconnect it, I had to go through the turn in dance, followed by the turn on dance (tried in person, but they couldn't do it, so had to call).  The SB6212 (187Mbps) modem works great at over 100mps, so that part is good.

My sense is that Cox and all the telecoms will continue to have differential pricing that once you sign up, always goes up ... then, when you complain, they negotiate to keep you ... then when you have had it and quit, they price their products fairly and you come back.  Much like being on a 200 person airliner, everyone up and down you street pays a different price for getting there.  I wish they would stop this, because it is bad for loyalty and collaboration, but if they did then other, more competitive companies would not have an opening to steal those customers away with a better product and service.