Forum Discussion

stratmo
New Contributor
4 years ago

WiFi works but wired Ethernet and cable tv do not.

Let me tell you my setup to start off: I have a 2 way splitter outside my house that runs 1 coax connection to my living room (where my Contour box is) and 1 connection to my basement (where my panoramic modem/router is). 

2 days ago I moved my modem/router upstairs so I could hardwire my Xbox instead of using WiFi in hopes of getting a better connection. Upon reestablishing connection to the modem/router I plugged in my Xbox via Ethernet. It showed a connection, but I did not have any access to internet applications, or the Xbox live service. I power cycled the modem/router and my Xbox to no avail so I ended up factory resetting the modem/router. This didn’t do anything either so I took it back downstairs, plugged it back in, and connected it back to my PC via Ethernet. 

I haven’t noticed anything wrong until today when I logged on my pc and found that I had no access to internet. WiFi is working on all devices, but I have no access to things like websites, email, discord etc. on my pc over the Ethernet cable.

My PC shows the Ethernet connection just like my Xbox did (yes the connection is enabled). It shows packets being sent and received. I have it set to obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS server automatically for both IPv4 and IPv6. DHCP is enabled. I have tried turning off the windows firewall, flushing DNS, Winsock reset etc. Ipconfig gives me normal results, and windows diagnostics and troubleshoot cannot detect any problems. 

here’s the weird part - I can get on google chrome and google.com works. I can even use the search tool and I will get results! But none of the sites load after I click on them, or they load like the initial logo of the site but it goes no further. My cable is also not functioning correctly either. Only the guide will load, but when I select a channel I just get a blank screen. 

I can login to the router using 192.168.0.1 and everything looks good. Shows the Ethernet port as active. I can see the connected devices too. I have also tried using different Ethernet cables and different ports on the modem.

Because the internet on my pc was fine before I initially tried relocating my router I am leaning in the direction that the issues is not with my PC. if you can solve this then you deserve a medal lol. PLEASE HELP

Edit: feel like I should add that the network status in the bottom right of my pc is not yellow or red. It shows just like it normally should. Also I don’t get an error page after trying to reach a website, it just loads forever and nothing happens.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    tjharris
    New Contributor II

This sounds to me like misconfigured dns server. Try rebooting the modem then reboot the pc. I am also assuming you didn’t clone the MAC address.

stratmo
      New Contributor

I have rebooted both. And I haven’t cloned the MAC address, but I did use Ipconfig /all to find the address and I manually entered it into the ‘radio’ or whatever it’s called.

tjharris
        New Contributor II

Huh.  Radio? When? That doesn’t,t sound good. I would reset the modem. Your dns problems are likely in the modem not the lan.”radio would tend to mean WiFi which means you could have packets all over the place. I think I’ll let someone more knowledgeable help you.