Forum Discussion

tachyon99
New Contributor
4 years ago

Wifi Issues

My wifi has been crawling at 3Mbps download even though I pay $89/month for 150Mbps!

I get this strange message saying 

"It looks like you are using a modem that is not compatible with My WiFi. My WiFi is included when you rent a WiFi Modem from Cox. Upgrade Now."

The cable modem is something you guys installed for me when I got the service so why is it NOT compatible??

Does this mean you guys installed an old modem?  It was working fine until about a month ago. I have my own router.

How do I fix this problem?

Thanks!

16 Replies

tachyon99
    New Contributor

BTW, the cable modem that I bought from Cox when they install my internet service is:

Surfboard Modem Arris Model SB6141 which is a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem and support speeds up to 343Mbps. Which is more than my plan of 150Mps. 

So, I'm not sure why I'm getting that message :"It looks like you are using a modem that is not compatible with My WiFi. My WiFi is included when you rent a WiFi Modem from Cox. Upgrade Now."

Please advise. Thanks!

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Tachyon99

We have replied to the email you sent awaiting your reply.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I had always assumed you had to rent a Panoramic WiFi & DOCSIS for the MyWiFi app.  Do you have your own wireless router?  If so, was the MyWiFI app previously working for you?

I think it's just a "pressure campaign" for customers to rent more stuff from Cox.  Do you need the MyWiFi app?  If so, why?

If you have the 150 Mbps plan (I do), a DOCSIS 3.0 is fine.

tachyon99
      New Contributor

Bruce,

OH!!! So that message doesn't mean anything? Geez. I thought something was wrong. I have my own wifi router and DO NOT plan to use MyWiFi app.

thanks!

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I understand your problem is low bandwidth, but I wouldn't rely on a Cox app (marketing) for the solution.

How do you measure 3 Mbps download speed?

Also, what are the conditions (steady or flashing) and colors of the RECEIVE and LINK lights?