Forum Discussion

BTVEGAS
New Contributor
11 months ago

What's the newest Arris Modem that will last the longest for COX?

Looking for the newest released modem that will work with VEGAS COX INTERNET.  My SB8200 I bought in 2019 just went "OUTDATED" tonight yet they still sell it online.

• But wait.... DOCSIS 4 is just around the corner.  I can understand the financial incentive to try and future proof but I also realize that technology simply moves way too fast these days.

BTVEGAS
      New Contributor

So you suggest just renting equipment until 4.0 comes out?

ExtraChrispy
        Contributor III

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised to see newer/better DOCSIS 4.0 modems come out on a regular basis.  Every few months or so a newer and more capable devices will typically become available.  If you look back at DOCSIS 3.0 for example, the 1st modems were 4x4, then 4x8, 4x16, 8x24, 8x32.

There's nothing wrong with using an SB8200 but at you stated it's 4 years old now so plenty of newer devices have since hit the market.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

The Arris S33v1 is the gold standard for D3.1 modems. Why did they say your SB8200 is outdated? According to here it is good up to 1Gbps.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

When I go to that website I see the S33 as supported and approved for the 2Gbps service plan. I also see the SB8200 as supported for 1Gbps.  What am I missing? Can you show a screenshot? Are you mistaking the Wifi Yes/No for not being supported?

BTVEGAS
      New Contributor

Correct my WiFi stopped working last night, and customer service said it's outdated and said I need a new modem.   I purchased it in 2019.     Then tried telling me I can rent a panorama modem for 15$ a month.    I said no thank you. 

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

The 8200 has nothing to do with WiFi. It provides internet to the router that THEN provides WiFi but the 8200 is a modem only. If you are having issues with WiFi then look at your router.