Forum Discussion

erp_jdr14
New Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

what brand mesh networks will work with my Cox router

I have Cox internet with an Arris TG1682-g router (from Cox). I have a few dead zones in my 2 story house and would like to add a mesh network. But I am looking for a brand to buy...other than the POD devices.

Amazon and Best Buy sell Netgear, TP-Link and a few dozen others at better prices that the Cox Pod.

I called BestBuy to see if their gear work with Cox..they were not sure. I called Cox tech support...same answer (of course they want to sell their Pods)

Anyone have a suggestion or experience here with compatibility?

Thanks ,

J.

• If you have a wireless router and need to extend its wireless range, you can buy Range Extenders, Mesh Routers or plain ol' routers.  With Range Extenders, Panoramic is limited to only the Pods.

If you want to install plain ol' routers in the dead zones, these will work with your Arris TG1682.  However, you wrote mesh so I'm trying to figure your best approach.

The question is we don't know if these rooms are dead zones or not.  These rooms may be dead zones due to the wireless limitations of the Arris TG1682.

If you want to install a mesh network in your home, there are brands complete with a router and 2, 3 or 4 satellite Access Points you can install in the other rooms.

Research from about 4 months ago.  Look for the 2 tables.
    forums.cox.com/.../panoramic-wifi-pods-2-0

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you have a wireless router and need to extend its wireless range, you can buy Range Extenders, Mesh Routers or plain ol' routers.  With Range Extenders, Panoramic is limited to only the Pods.

If you want to install plain ol' routers in the dead zones, these will work with your Arris TG1682.  However, you wrote mesh so I'm trying to figure your best approach.

The question is we don't know if these rooms are dead zones or not.  These rooms may be dead zones due to the wireless limitations of the Arris TG1682.

If you want to install a mesh network in your home, there are brands complete with a router and 2, 3 or 4 satellite Access Points you can install in the other rooms.

Research from about 4 months ago.  Look for the 2 tables.
    forums.cox.com/.../panoramic-wifi-pods-2-0

ratoren
    New Contributor II

I have Google WiFi mesh with my TG1682 modem. Works great. I disabled the wifi on the modem, and use it as a hard wired router to the Google WiFi mesh system. And if I need to go to a different provider (or bring my own modem) when my 2 year contract is up next month, then its just plug and play, and the Google Mesh system still works with no tweaking whatsoever. There’s newer/faster mesh systems out there, all of which will probably work, but Google Mesh WiFi is simple, rock solid/reliable, and has excellent range. 

erp_jdr14
      New Contributor

Yes and No...we started a Cox plan that included the Router, so we have it...but do not own or rent it.

Not sure what you mean it's an AC router? Does that make it more compatible with mainstream brand mesh devices.

Thx for quick reply Bruce

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I'm thinking if you're to build a network...which is essentially what you're getting into...then purchase your own modem (DOCSIS) and WiFi.  Don't build onto the Panoramic...but onto your own equipment.

Your rooms may not be dead zones due to location but may be dead zones because the Panoramic isn't powerful enough to reach.

You just recently started a Cox plan?  If so, I'm curious why Cox issued a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, which is older technology, as opposed to the DOCSIS 3.1.  Or, if you also subscribe to Cox Voice (landline), this may be why you have a DOCSIS 3.0.

You wrote, "Arris TG1682-g router" in your original post.  The "g" is a wireless protocol:  802.11g.  There is 802.11a...then 802.11b...etc and we're now up to 802.11ac.  There are more after AC, but AC is currently what Cox issues.

So...for now...give buying your own stuff a think and let us know.