Forum Discussion

dustinw
New Contributor II
2 months ago

Uncorrectable errors and frequent slowdown

For the last couple of months, I have been experiencing frequent slowdowns on my speed. I have the gig tier of speed, and when things are working properly, I often get 450+ mb speeds on WiFi. However, lately the speeds will drop to below 10mb, or just fail to work at all. At first, I thought maybe my router was the issue, but I have had the problem both wired and wireless. After researching possible causes, I'm thinking there may be a signal issue. I'm getting a lot of uncorrectable errors when viewing my modem's log. I'm attaching a screenshot to show what I mean.

There is a splitter from the wall to my modem and cable box. Could that possibly have failed, or be failing?

1 Reply

• Hi Dustinw,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with our service. testing speed on a wireless connection is not recommended. The best option when possible is to connect a computer or laptop directly to the modem or gateway with an Ethernet cable and run a speed test at a site like www.speedtest.net this will give you a more accurate result. I looked at the logs you posted and the uncorrectable errors can be a sign of a signal issue. I recommend checking to make sure all the coax connections are tight and secure if you only have internet service then I recommend removing the splitter and connecting the modem directly to the line coming from outside. if you have another service like our Contour TV then you may not be able to remove the splitter. If you continue to see issues with the service please reach out to us privately our email address is cox.help@cox.com  Please include your full street address and a link to the forum post.

Greg