Forum Discussion

pmarkd
New Contributor
2 years ago

Unable to log in to Cox when my VPN is on

I'm using ExpressVPN, and when using it, I'm unable to log in to my Cox account. If I turn the VPN off, I can log in. Is there a setting I can change on my Panoramic Gateway that will allow me to log in when the VPN is on? I use both Firefox and Edge browsers. Are there settings on these browsers that I can change and then be able to log in to Cox with my VPN on? Thanks for your assistance.

• Hi pmarkd,

thank you for reaching out to the Social Media Team and being a valued Cox family member. I am not aware of any particular settings in your web browser that would affect your VPN. Are you able to check with your VPN for any support issues? Are you getting any error message when you try to login to your Cox account while using your VPN?

Thank you, 

Mike

pmarkd
      New Contributor

I've contacted ExpressVPN and am trying the different things they suggest. I'll post again here when I reach the end of the line with ExpressVPN.

pmarkd
        New Contributor

ExpressVPN told me today that they're unable to solve the problem on their end.

pmarkd
    New Contributor

When VPN is on, I am receiving an error message on both the Firefox and Edge browsers. The error message says: "Request blocked. Your request has been identified as potentially malicious, and access has been blocked." 

• I'll just say this, as I work in the security and compliance industry, somebody trying to login to an account via VPN is the #1 indicator that somebody is attempting to hack said account.  

pmarkd
      New Contributor

Good point. I don't know much about VPNs, but I thought that one of the purposes of using one is to protect username and password information when signing in to a website. Not allowing a VPN to access an online account will protect against hackers, but I think preventing a VPN from being used exposes legitimate users to another type of risk. 

ExtraChrispy
        Contributor III

Services like ExpressVPN can be useful if you need to disguise or otherwise alter the origin of your Internet traffic but they offer no safety what so ever.  With respect to login security however, this present a risk of account compromise.  If I watch you sign into your account from home then 5 minutes later you're accessing your account Germany I'm going to assume your password is stolen and shut down the account until the problem can get sorted out.

Most providers incorporate layers of security with respect to authentication processes one of which geolocation.  The example I described above is a text book case of a phenomenon we call an impossible travel anomaly.

Blocking VPN connections for account authentication is far safer for the user.