Forum Discussion

heavyduty124
New Contributor
2 months ago

terrible internet speeds

Hi, I pay for the 250 Mbps plan and can't achieve speeds over 20 Mbps download and usually even worse than that upload. It's a roll of the dice if I'll even be able to get 2 Mbps some days. I've done speed tests over wifi and ethernet on a variety of devices that with my previous apartments wifi were able to get Gbps speeds, so I know it's not an issue with my devices. The online support was not helpful, just had me restart my devices and router multiple times even though I had already done that multiple times, but then told me a technician coming out would cost me $75 if they didn't think it was an issue with their equipment. Which I am not going to pay for on top of my $120 a month wifi I'm not even getting, has anyone dealt with this before? And did you end up having to pay for the technician? I just moved in and it's a cox supplied router so it's not personal equipment, but I don't know if they'd blame me for bad wiring.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Are you testing via ethernet, or WiFi? Testing over WiFi isn't accurate. If you are using the pano modem from Cox, make sure it's out in the open, not behind anything, or under anything. Make sure it's NOT in a Smart Box, (Not Smart), or worse, behind a tv. 

If your problem is WiFi,  the above steps are important, also ensure it's not sitting next to speakers,  It HAS to be out in the open!

• Hi Heavyduty124,

I apologize, that you're having trouble with our service. The suggestions Darkatt made can help narrow down what is causing the issue and may fix the issue. If it does not, please contact us privately so we can look into this. Our email address is cox.help@cox.com please include your full street address and a link to your forum post.

Greg