Forum Discussion

Mlh
New Contributor
7 years ago

Sporadic and unreliable panoramic WiFi service

We have had the panoramic for less than two months. If I had a dollar for every time that we have reset the modem, I could comfortably retire! I did a reset through the Cox internet tools a few days ago, and the respite from frustration was brief. When upstairs, the signal seems to be non-existent. For "wall to wall" WiFi, this is pretty darned pitiful! Switching between the two in home networks doesn't seem to help. Why are we playing premium fees for mediocre service, at best? 

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Mlh,

I am sorry to hear of your chronic connectivity issues. I'd like to secure an appointment for a technician to come out and investigate further. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your preferred day/time (morning, afternoon or evening) and a good contact number to get started. Installing an extender may be an option. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Mlh
    New Contributor

Since I perpetually have trouble even as close as 20-25 feet away, how would an extender fix things? And as to the rest of the house, how many extenders does one need for reliable service? And I would truly be surprised if these were supplied free of charge. I think this is nonsense! I have been a customer since 1998, but your company has lost its charm in my eyes. I believe it's time to explore my other options.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @Mlh

From this end all wireless devices are reporting poor signal but I do see you have them all connected to the 2.4Ghz wireless which is commonly affected by interference from other wireless networks. Can you try connecting to the 5Ghz band and see if that works any better?

Mlh
    New Contributor

The small devices, such as the tablets and phones, are on the 2.4; the televisions and game systems are on the 5. We just reset the router again yesterday. When I switch my tablet to the 5, I seem to have just as much trouble.

Darkwater23
    New Contributor

I bought my own modem, my own wifi router and my own extender and my network has been very stable. I can send you the equipment names and model numbers, if you like.

Also, this may not be a big concern for you, but my company has noticed that Cox's wifi router doesn't work well with VPNs.

MarkM1
    Former Moderator

Mlh,

I checked your equipment & show that you do have two devices connected to the 5G network. Would you reset the modem & see if those devices have a better connection now?

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

+1 for ditching the Cox gateway and buy yourself a separate modem and router.  The Arris SB6183 and Asus RT-AC68U/P is a good combo. If your looking for above consumer level gear, check out Unifi APs and Unifi Security Gateway(USG). This will work better if you have a large house and want multiple wired AP's around it for the best signal.